• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Its the end of October.. time for... SNOW!

WHERE!?

• Paridise Side of Mt Rainier (4600ft)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • West Mt. St. Helens (4100ft)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Tonga Ridge (3600ft)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Back to Twin Lakes! (5200ft)

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

japerry

For the past 7 years I've put on a first snow run up-to Twin Lakes, near the Canadian Border. While its been a great run, I live now in Vancouver, WA which makes that drive a bit... long.

So that said, I'm curious where people would like to explore next? I have a few roads that look available, although not at the 5000ft like twin lakes... choose an area above...

Last edited:
I see some rad snow wheeling pics from guys around the castle rock/toutle areas. Probably worth checking out!

I've wheeled at Tonga a lot too. Timing is way different than Twin Lakes due to lower elevation though it is higher than the poll shows. Tonga hiking trail head is 4300ft and the second pit is about 4500ft. Usually doesn't have snow until weeks after Twin Lakes. Another option that I have done the last few years is Fortune Creek. Gallagher Head Lake is at 5500 ft and you can get over 6000 on the short trail up Hawkins Mtn Mine. We didn't make it all the way up Hawkins last year but did the year before. This is at the top:

IMG_0374.JPG
up

Oh! I'd be up for Gallagher lake again, that was a fun trip!

Looking at the lastest snow forcasts, its supposed to stay up in the 7000ft range this week, with lots of rain. The Nooksack snow indicators only show 2" on the ground, so Twin Lakes is still bare.

Judging from the long range forecasts, I don't think there will be any chance next week (the 8th), but things really vary after that.

The RRR's have a couple folks that are taking the reigns on continuing the Legendary :redneck: T.L. Run Jakob :awesomework: ...As things start to gain traction :D for snow weatherwise, there WILL be a new thread started for this year's T.L. Run! IIRC this will be the 5th Annual...

Ah, I wondered...Well then the 7th ANNUAL T.L. Run IT IS!! :D
Was looking over the Gallagher Lk stuff---looks like ALOT of fun!

Gallagher was fun but much like Twin Lakes you have to time it right. Hawkins is rated moderately difficult when dry due to a couple of steep climbs that become impassable with more than a foot or so of snow. Here's some pics from a trip Nov 2 last year.

This is at the top of the climb just before the lake. Was getting stuck at 6psi but 3 was magic. I love first tracks.

IMG_0942.JPG

At the lake

IMG_0949.JPG

Too much snow to follow the trail on the way to Hawkins. Decided to turn around here.

IMG_0952.JPG

Yah, I think that'd be a great run to do! It looks like Gallagher is nearly 5500ft. Judging by photos from Moonrocks (5800ft), there is only a dusting of snow up there. Nooksack, up north at 5000ft also confirms there is only about 2-5" on the ground.

I'll keep my eye on the weather, but I think as long as I'm not in Charlotte, I'd love to do this.

I'd love to do anything further south, Twin Lakes was a blast but was a long haul.

Gallagher would be awesome. Keep me updated Jakob.

The RRR's have a couple folks that are taking the reigns on continuing the Legendary :redneck: T.L. Run Jakob :awesomework: ...As things start to gain traction :D for snow weatherwise, there WILL be a new thread started for this year's T.L. Run! IIRC this will be the 5th Annual...

Last year was kind of a flop. Hopefully we can get some decent snow and I can get my junk in one piece before the run.

Last year was kind of a flop. Hopefully we can get some decent snow and I can get my junk in one piece before the run.

Absolutely kinda was, but still a good time...:awesomework: But yeah, hopefully this yr will be better!
Git r Dun!!! :D

Great pic, I was wondering about that comment. Not quite as challenging as in years past but a lot of fun playing around at the lakes. I certainly enjoyed it! My JK is in the center of the row just to the right of the rock in the background and next to Clarence's tan CJ.

Definitely let me know when this is happening I would love to tag along with you RRRs if its OK. I recently moved to Bellingham so I'm in the area and also hoping to catch the next club meeting but for sure let me know anytime there is wheeling in the area.