• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

jeep front axle

camo flatbed

ive got a question regarding the front axle on a grand cherokee i was rockcrawlin at a buddys house when i lost the front axle it is quadratrac so all 4 all time and when i put her in drive or reverse it grinds a lil' and the front d line just spins but it still goes with the ass end i just dont know if the hubs are screwed or if i have to buy new gears? cuz it is auto locking anyway just hopin someone could shed some light.

Either you killed the ring and pinion, or something inside the diff like the carrier. Or you broke both axleshafts.

Did you have a locker in there?

What he said, and that quadratrac transfer case is like a differential, if theres less resistance on the front drive shaft thats where your powers going to go if you try to drive it as it is right now you will be doing damage to the transfer case as well as further damaging the front axle.

If you have the Quadratrac and the V8, chances are your front driveline has a constant velocity (cup and bearings) joint at the pinion - like a front wheel drive axle shaft. Is the pinion actually turning?

Also, it would only take one axle shaft being broken to describe the symptoms if it were an axle shaft

If ya are trying to figure out what the problem is, I would jack up the front end and spin the tires. If the both turn then most like it's not a axle shaft if just one spins it mite be a axle shaft or carrier or ring and pinion. Remove the diff cover and look for broken teeth or part in the bottom of housing.

yeah i'll have to take a closer look and see if the pinion turns but i think so anyway its not locked up and has stock gears its the quadratrac and has the 5.2 in it.