• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jeep TJ LED blinker help.

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
So about a year ago I added rear LED Taillights to the TJ. Now my blinkers don't work at all.

The hazards work, but the blinkers dont at all.

Little help?

Yep, just get a flasher that is designed for use w' LEDs or used some cheap resistors to up the draw. You are not drawing enough amps totrip the mechanical flasher.:awesomework:

You need either an electronic flasher or a load equalizer. Napa has the flashers on the shelf for $10.

Sounds like it was working for a year? My stock flasher just went faster but still worked, so I got a part number on line, but it did the same thing. Years later my blinkers STOPPED WORKING ALTOGETHER and I changed the blinker lever/switch. I believe it is called a universal switch. Super easy, no need to remove the wheel. Problem solved.:D Good luck

Last edited:
Sounds like it was working for a year? My stock flasher just went faster but still worked, so I got a part number on line, but it did the same thing. Years later my blinkers STOPPED WORKING ALTOGETHER and I changed the blinker lever/switch. I believe it is called a universal switch. Super easy, no need to remove the wheel. Problem solved.:D Good luck

Yup. This is what it is looking like.

My blinkers worked. They were just fast. I didn't really care about that.

I did do the relay alteration found on stu-offroad listed earlier in the thread. It did stop the blinkers from blinking fast. However, I have some wonky turn signal switch problems now.

No biggie. Time to take my steering column apart.

EDIT: This is on a 98 TJ. After some research I have found that in the 2001+ model years the lighting electrical system is a bit different.

For earlier model TJs, you should be good to go with a flasher labeled "electronic flasher" at the auto parts store, or do the mod at Stu Olsen's site.

Last edited:
Glad I could help:awesomework:

I need a #10 Torx bit to get this fooking switch apart. After I clean that up I will post updates.

Also, I used the side marker lights for the front. What should I do with the old front turn signals? Just splice all 3 wires together and call it a day?

I need a #10 Torx bit to get this fooking switch apart. After I clean that up I will post updates.

Also, I used the side marker lights for the front. What should I do with the old front turn signals? Just splice all 3 wires together and call it a day?

I don't have a diagram in front of me, but sure:redneck:

Think I've got one here at the house if you want to swing up.

My wiring dillemma continues.

I'll post pics of the switch in a minute but here goes.

I went to olympic and bought the wiring harness to return the jeep back to stock in the front. As of right now, it is stock wiring configuration in the front end turn signals.

The front lights work correctly. The rear lights work "correctly" as per running and brake lights.

The front turn signals work when you turn the switch left. Both rear lights flash. When you turn the switch right the front works correctly however neither of the rear lights flash.

Hazards work correctly.

Last edited:
Here's the picture I got of the guts of the switch when I had it apart.

Tom has more pictures on his camera. It wasn't hard to get apart or put back together. There was a **** ton of corrosion in there though.

dsc02932y.jpg

Latest posts