• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jeep TJ suspension

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
With my Limited buget and daily driver status. I want to do a home brew long arm system in my TJ.

Can I put LAs in the front and leave the rear stock? Reason being is, I want to move the gas tank and exhaust so I can do a Triangulated 4 in the rear, but don't have the time to do both front and rear in one weekend.

So, will it ride like ass with LA's in the front only for a week or two?

Check out the clayton build-your-own-system. http://www.claytonoffroad.com/

A while back a good friend of mine was going to fab his own long arm set up, but he realized the Clayton kit was not much more than the material, plus it is a proven system. They use square tube BTW.

If you do decide to fab your own suspension, the Jeep might have a little unbalanced feeling, but won't "ride like crap". The front just might be a little cushier feeling with the longer arms. I don't know you, so not trying to sound like an ass, but if you have to ask a question like that are you sure you have the skills to design and fab your own suspension? Remeber, this is your dd so if you get some angles off it WILL drive like crap.

Last edited:
I don't think it really matters as far as square toob vs round toob. see here for some more info reguarding square vs round.

oh, I'm sure that Karl's got enough booty fab skills to do this

WACO said:
Check out the clayton build-your-own-system. http://www.claytonoffroad.com/

A while back a good friend of mine was going to fab his own long arm set up, but he realized the Clayton kit was not much more than the material, plus it is a proven system. They use square tube BTW.

If you do decide to fab your own suspension, the Jeep might have a little unbalanced feeling, but won't "ride like crap". The front just might be a little cushier feeling with the longer arms. I don't know you, so not trying to sound like an ass, but if you have to ask a question like that are you sure you have the skills to design and fab your own suspension? Remeber, this is your dd so if you get some angles off it WILL drive like crap.

I like thier design, and thier mounting system.

But, that price is way more than I want to pay. I have half of my materials (rod ends, bushings, shocks, etc.) now. I am going to do the front half, and then spend a weekend doing the rear half. Plus, all thier fancy little brackets that they charge for can be made out of scrap steel in an hour or so.

They want $1600. I am building that same system myself for $560 give or take.

I don't mind paying for a bracket system (ie pre fabbed 4 link brackets for an axle), but not stupid stuff that I could make on my own.

Kind of like the XJ LA system we did on FiFo's XJ. The front is rather Cushy, where the rear tries to launch you to the moon.

Last edited:
Cascade_Crawler said:
Karl how did you figure out your mounting points and angles? Did you use a 4 link calculator?

No. The front will be adjustable radius arms. I'm going to use the "trial and error" method.

I've been thinking of this same thing ... except using a long-arm TT of some kind to re-use the front link mounts, and building the radius arms myself.

have you thought about just 3-linking the rear? a Y-arm connected to the frame-side mounts and running down to a truss seems easy-peasy.

SeaRubi said:
have you thought about just 3-linking the rear? a Y-arm connected to the frame-side mounts and running down to a truss seems easy-peasy.

Everyone here says that method leads to "rear steer"

KarlVP said:
Everyone here says that method leads to "rear steer"

meh - I think that's kinda splittin' hairs ... sounds like typical web wheeler advice :flipoff:

if you're running a reasonable (12") shocks and you go ahead and lengthen the LCA's, redoing that hideous frame mount while you're at it it'll be just fine.

Latest posts