• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

jims hot tune

patooyee said:
And the Hardline transformation to 1998 Pirate4x4 is complete ... and on a Tuesday no less!

4e980c23fde27e6b9e22f2f5bfd5e70613f4038e6898694f2fba9db240bf602f.jpg

It's Wednesday. Can we still come to the dark side or wait till next week?

I will give you a serious answer on this. There are many variables that make a huge difference. First, on a stock motor, your not going to gain more than 15-20 at best. With an aftermarket cam or a good head swap (ls2/6 heads, or l33 heads) your going to need to tune it. This is where a custom tune comes into play. Buying a generic "hot tune" wont cut it. Its like buying a one size fits all pair of jeans. It just doesn't work. There are a lot of things that will depend on how much timing is put into the engine, fuel curve, etc by the components you have installed. The cam is one of the biggest factors. A good cam and custom tune will get you to 50 or so. The best thing to do is have it dyno tuned. That way the tuner can see in real time exactly what is happening with the data and manipulate it for the best performance possible. Stay away from generic tunes.

Anytime. Some times some of the folks on here forget why they are here and not on pirate anymore. Its definitely losing its helpful friendly luster.

I agree with the dyno tune. However, I could find no where within 3 hours of me to do a tune on my tow rig. So, after researching I went with a EFI live tune through Black Bear. It actually makes sense for some applications because you hook up the computer and drive around. Do a couple full throttle pulls, some stop and go stuff, and some hi way. Then, they tune your computer off those results. Where as with a dyno they tune off full throttle pulls. Like I said, on some applications the EFI live would be beneficial in my opinion. I did some runs with Jeep and trailer hooked up too and then e-mailed it all off. 5 days later I plug in my new computer and that was it.

I don't know the gains but there were some I can tell you that. Both in MPG and torque.

Anyway, just a thought.

pholmann said:
Anytime. Some times some of the folks on here forget why they are here and not on pirate anymore. Its definitely losing its helpful friendly luster.

Only time ppl get like this is when somebody asks a question that requires a decent amount of info and they provide ZERO. If he would have even just said "how much horsepower on a 5.3" that small amount of info would have more than likely (we'll never really know..) provoked some serious questions. I'm all about helping, we all did start somewere, but his question required a common sense approach, not technical knowledge to be a legitimate question.

wannabe said:
Only time ppl get like this is when somebody asks a question that requires a decent amount of info and they provide ZERO. If he would have even just said "how much horsepower on a 5.3" that small amount of info would have more than likely (we'll never really know..) provoked some serious questions. I'm all about helping, we all did start somewere, but his question required a common sense approach, not technical knowledge to be a legitimate question.

Exactly......page 2 and we still don't have the first fawking idea what vehicle he's talking about.... Hell I don't even know what the **** a Jim's Hot Tune is. For diesel? gas burner? electric golf cart turbo booster tune? Google Jim's Hot Tune and the first search result is this thread :wtflol: If yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Re:

I used a Diablosport InTune on my 5.3. Yes it's a handheld but you put a canned tune on and drive it around while your computer adjusts. Then you can use it to data log what's going on and email it to someone to do a custom tune and they send a new tune via email and you go back and forth a couple times till they say they got it good. Diablewtune.com is real good for this. I would send him a data log and would have a new tune anywhere from a couple hours till a day later.

rpf500 said:
I agree with the dyno tune. However, I could find no where within 3 hours of me to do a tune on my tow rig. So, after researching I went with a EFI live tune through Black Bear. It actually makes sense for some applications because you hook up the computer and drive around. Do a couple full throttle pulls, some stop and go stuff, and some hi way. Then, they tune your computer off those results. Where as with a dyno they tune off full throttle pulls. Like I said, on some applications the EFI live would be beneficial in my opinion. I did some runs with Jeep and trailer hooked up too and then e-mailed it all off. 5 days later I plug in my new computer and that was it.

I don't know the gains but there were some I can tell you that. Both in MPG and torque.

Anyway, just a thought.

Thats essentially a custom tune becuase you have to also give them any information about what you have done to your vehicle perfomance wise, and they take the data and change accordingly. That is good enough. I would definitely want a dyno tune if it were a street car or race car that you were looking to squeeze every drop of power out of it.

wannabe said:

Thats when you as the more experienced person in the situation (if you even are or just being a ball buster) would ask the OP maybe a question or two yourself. I mean really, what the **** are you out to actually ask a question instead of beating someone to death for not providing the correct information? Perhaps he doesn't know anything about anything and someone told him about a Jims hot tune and he thinks, wow I will ask the ole helpful folks at hardline, they will know. Then they get treated like dirt. It just looks shitty. The OP is looking for someone who has actual experience with this, not someone who can google everything and act like they know what they are talking about. Anyone who has built anything with an LS motor should be able to chime in on this because they have had to deal with it, not because you may have one in your tow pig thats bone stock.

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
I used a Diablosport InTune on my 5.3. Yes it's a handheld but you put a canned tune on and drive it around while your computer adjusts. Then you can use it to data log what's going on and email it to someone to do a custom tune and they send a new tune via email and you go back and forth a couple times till they say they got it good. Diablewtune.com is real good for this. I would send him a data log and would have a new tune anywhere from a couple hours till a day later.

I am a fan of diablo for stock or nearly stock vehicles. I especially like their tuner for 7.3 powerstrokes.

Please excuse me sir. Did not mean to ruffle OP's feathers or yours. I'm just here for the free **** :****:

If you're talking about Jim's Performance in Maryland, send him your harness if you don't want to DIY, but have your pcm tuned elsewhere.

I had him tune an LQ4 to be used behind a non-computer controlled automatic. Basically a manual trans tune. He left the auto trans functions in, left torque management in, turned off a bunch of trouble codes that you want enabled, and whatever was done to the fuel/timing maps caused bank 1 to run very rich at high load. He doesnt do anything to add power aka "hot tune". Told me to not hook up the vss but did nothing to the idle maps, causing it to come down to idle too quickly under coast and stall. Basically ran like ****.

Mail order tunes are only worth the cost of the license to unlock your vats and turn off emissions functions so you can drive it onto your trailer to take to a dyno. If the closest dyno was 5 hours away that's how far I'd be driving to have it tuned.

cdemart2 said:
If you're talking about Jim's Performance in Maryland, send him your harness if you don't want to DIY, but have your pcm tuned elsewhere.

I had him tune an LQ4 to be used behind a non-computer controlled automatic. Basically a manual trans tune. He left the auto trans functions in, left torque management in, turned off a bunch of trouble codes that you want enabled, and whatever was done to the fuel/timing maps caused bank 1 to run very rich at high load. He doesnt do anything to add power aka "hot tune". Told me to not hook up the vss but did nothing to the idle maps, causing it to come down to idle too quickly under coast and stall. Basically ran like ****.

Mail order tunes are only worth the cost of the license to unlock your vats and turn off emissions functions so you can drive it onto your trailer to take to a dyno. If the closest dyno was 5 hours away that's how far I'd be driving to have it tuned.

I have a guy here in Knoxville that will do a "tune" without a dyno. He did my LS2 for my 67 GTO and it runs like a bat outta hell. He only charges like 125$ to tune it. Basically what it costs to unlock it plus about 25$

cdemart2 said:

Did the same to me. He's a tool. But, does a great job on harness cut downs. I'd let him do another harness.

Also to add insult to injury on Jim's. He had my computer programmed with some wack ass VIN and the computer wouldn't let HP tuners tune it as a V8. I had to borrow a computer for a while until I could take mine (to a friend luckily) who had a GM tech II and could program a good VIN for a vehicle with a 5.3 before HP tuners would allow a good tune to go in.

I have HPTuners. I would never let anyone without a dyno tune my junk. When I get the chance to hook my computer up to other people's rigs that have been tuned by a "professional" I'll download the file and compare it to others just to see what some people are doing. Its sad. 90% of "pros" are just complete hacks who have no clue what they are doing. I have been inside an LQ4 Jim's performance "tune" before. It was simply an Escalade tune written over the stock Sierra tune. He turned VATS off, disabled a few codes, not even enough of them, disabled some useful ones that shouldn't have been disabled. I wouldn't even call myself a tuner, just a tinkerer with HPT. But even I could recognize some complete hack ****.

patooyee said:
I have HPTuners. I would never let anyone without a dyno tune my junk. When I get the chance to hook my computer up to other people's rigs that have been tuned by a "professional" I'll download the file and compare it to others just to see what some people are doing. Its sad. 90% of "pros" are just complete hacks who have no clue what they are doing. I have been inside an LQ4 Jim's performance "tune" before. It was simply an Escalade tune written over the stock Sierra tune. He turned VATS off, disabled a few codes, not even enough of them, disabled some useful ones that shouldn't have been disabled. I wouldn't even call myself a tuner, just a tinkerer with HPT. But even I could recognize some complete hack ****.

Yep. Fella laughed pretty hard when he got inside of mine.