• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Just a simple Sami buggy

untchabl

On the Rocks
Guess I'll start a build thread for my little weepow buggy. It's just going to be a simple 4-banger Sami buggy, no crazy HP or bling axles.

This all started because the wife totaled my little DD 99 Tracker and I told her that I was gonna have to build a buggy since I had a perfect engine & trans combo in the wrecked Tracker. So I started looking for a Sami tub to use, few weeks later I found one on Craigslist and drug it home. Pulled the tub off the frame and traded the frame and front clip for a Sami t-case.

index.php

index.php

index.php

So I tore the Tracker apart to salvage the 2.0 and 4-speed automatic.

index.php

Then made the first of many cuts on the Sami tub, we'll call it rust removal.

index.php

I used 2"x4" .120 square tube to build my main frame rails. The angle iron was just to try and keep everything square.

index.php

index.php

Going to run Toyota axles under it. Standard solid axle in the front and an IFS width rear. Started cleaning up the front housing and cut the cover off to install a Barnes4WD diff cover.

index.php

index.php

Then started stocking up on some parts. 35" Maxxis Creepy Crawlers on diy beadlocks, Sway-Away air shocks, Corbeau seats and harnesses and some DOM. Chassis and upper links will be 1.5" .120, sliders will be 1.5" .250, lower links will be 2" .250.

index.php

index.php

index.php

And progress on the chassis up to where we are now. Waiting on more parts to come in and we can keep moving on the chassis design.

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Love a Zuk build. Gonna run a junkyard K03 on it? RAD Designs shifter or computer controlled? I've been waiting since April 3 for my harness to get sent back from Myron. Hoping it's worth it in the end. What Tcase?

sleepsontoilet said:
Love a Zuk build. Gonna run a junkyard K03 on it? RAD Designs shifter or computer controlled? I've been waiting since April 3 for my harness to get sent back from Myron. Hoping it's worth it in the end. What Tcase?

Samurai t-case!

sleepsontoilet said:

Going to run a Sami t-case, hopefully it will hold up. Going to use the stock shifter, I've got the entire wiring harness from the wrecked Tracker and the factory service manual, so we're going to cut down the harness ourselves and leave the transmission computer controlled. No plans for a turbo, hoping that the 2.0 will have enough power as is. I'm using rigs like Clemsonjeep's and Adam Wende's as inspiration, very simple but very capable.

Basic build plan
- simple 2-seater chassis, around 106-110" wheel base
- 2.0 and 4-speed automatic
- 6.5:1 Sami t-case
- Yota axles with 4.88 gears
- 35" Creepy Crawlers for now, 37" Reds someday
- 4-linked front & rear on air shocks

untchabl said:
Going to run a Sami t-case, hopefully it will hold up. Going to use the stock shifter, I've got the entire wiring harness from the wrecked Tracker and the factory service manual, so we're going to cut down the harness ourselves and leave the transmission computer controlled. No plans for a turbo, hoping that the 2.0 will have enough power as is. I'm using rigs like Clemsonjeep's and Adam Wende's as inspiration, very simple but very capable.

Basic build plan

Keep me posted. My doubler just got wrapped up today and should be en route. Keep me posted on the harness, I'm still waiting on Myron 3 months later.

Re: Re: Just a simple Sami buggy

untchabl said:

Basic build plan
Is that a 4wd trans? If so, what's your plan for the tailshaft/jackshaft?

I'm keeping at eye on this.... I've got all the same parts and plans, just no time or energy to put it together.

Re: Re: Just a simple Sami buggy

paradisepwoffrd said:
Is that a 4wd trans? If so, what's your plan for the tailshaft/jackshaft?

I'm keeping at eye on this.... I've got all the same parts and plans, just no time or energy to put it together.

Yeah, it's the 4wd 4-speed. I'm using the Samurai intermediate shaft from the trans to the Sami t-case. Unbolt the stock Tracker t-case from the transmission and the Sami intermediate shaft slides right on the transmission output shaft. Trail Tough makes a bushing with a seal that you install in the rear of the transmission to center the intermediate shaft.

Here's a pic minus the Trail Tough bushing that I haven't installed yet. When I first started this, I didn't realize the Sami intermediate shaft would actually work and match the splines on the transmission output.

index.php

sleepsontoilet said:
Keep me posted. My doubler just got wrapped up today and should be en route. Keep me posted on the harness, I'm still waiting on Myron 3 months later.

Are you doing the Tracker/300 doubler like Adam's or are you going dual Tracker cases? A doubler setup will be my next option if the Sami t-case won't hold up.

John...be sure you check the directions for the Trail Tough adapter. You'll need to take the slip section to a machine shop to have them modify it to work properly with the adapter. I didn't know that either since the 3psd doesn't require any mods other than the bushing. I tried to adapt the 3spd version to the 4spd but found out that wouldn't work then when I called TT they informed me I had to have the 4spd adapter AND I had to modify the slip.

FYI...local shop only charged $40 to do it.

untchabl said:
Are you doing the Tracker/300 doubler like Adam's or are you going dual Tracker cases? A doubler setup will be my next option if the Sami t-case won't hold up.
Keith is building my Tracker/300 Doubler.

RRq7n6Uh.jpg

RBJm0UFh.jpg

clemsonjeep said:
John...be sure you check the directions for the Trail Tough adapter. You'll need to take the slip section to a machine shop to have them modify it to work properly with the adapter. I didn't know that either since the 3psd doesn't require any mods other than the bushing. I tried to adapt the 3spd version to the 4spd but found out that wouldn't work then when I called TT they informed me I had to have the 4spd adapter AND I had to modify the slip.

FYI...local shop only charged $40 to do it.

Thanks for the heads up Ryan, I haven't read the instructions or even tried to install the bushing yet.

Love the Zuk. It will be a trail killer for sure.

How do you like the Barnes 4wd diff covers?

I like that whole concept of cutting it off vs welding armor to what is already there.

Using these just seem like a cleaner way to me. I am fixin to order some for my rig, just thought i would ask because i have not personally seen anyone use these yet.

ftoy516 said:
Love the Zuk. It will be a trail killer for sure.

How do you like the Barnes 4wd diff covers?

I like that whole concept of cutting it off vs welding armor to what is already there.

Using these just seem like a cleaner way to me. I am fixin to order some for my rig, just thought i would ask because i have not personally seen anyone use these yet.

No complaints about the diff cover or any Barnes parts, I'm using quite a few of his parts on my build. I like how clean it looks as well.

The Barnes cover is strong enough to mount a steering ram to for hydro assist, had a buddy that had his Yota truck setup that way.

Latest posts