• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Just got a 1980 Yota, I got questions??

offroadwheeler

I looking to lift my truck to fit 38" but i dont want it to look bad like super crazy un needed high. I just want a perfect ride stance.

What would you recomend?

What are your guys likes and dislikes with this truck and anything you would do to it im looking for some directions here!!

Search button is your friend on this subject, lots of good info and everyones opinion you just gotta look for it:awesomework:

If you want cheap and quick then a 4" suspension and a 3" body works and looks perfect. If you want a good working suspension then some 5 or 6" springs from All Pro or Marlin Crawler plus shackles and maybe a 1" body or trimming.

3-4" lift springs, move the front axle forward, swap IFS box for crossover steering, trim the crap out of the body.

lift for 38's

My 81 was setup for 37's, but 38's would fit just as well, using 5.5 allpro springs, 63" rear chevy springs w/add-a-leaf, and the axle moved foward w/high steer. It sat nice and low. I also I used 2inch wheel spacers and 2.5 inch backspaced wheels to widen the stance up. I was also able to use the standard short-bed too without interference.

To the top of the cab it was about 6'0-6'2.

Photo's here: http://nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46309

Likes: It went everywhere, rarely broke down, and was fun to drive.

Dislikes: Not enough seats for the family...so it has to go. :booo:

Last edited:
If you want cheap and quick then a 4" suspension and a 3" body works and looks perfect. If you want a good working suspension then some 5 or 6" springs from All Pro or Marlin Crawler plus shackles and maybe a 1" body or trimming.

5 or 6 inch springs dont work very good at all. :rolleyes:

A 3-4 inch lift plus a sawzall and your good to go.

alright thanks guys can someone explain moving the axle forward and high steer? I really dont want to cut anything and make it look like a hack job

If your not sure what high steer is and how to move an axle forward maybe you should start reading some buildup threads to give yourself a foundation for your build.

I think that a good question to ask is if you want major hacking of the body, minor trimming, or not cutting at all. If you don't want to chop your truck up to badly you will have to lift more. If you don't have the ability to weld and such then you will need to find someone to do the work of moving spring mounts and mounting an ifs box.

However you set it up to fit 38's, there's ALOT to consider for drivetrain integrity, and retaining some power---Definitely regearing the axles, dual cases, and putting Longs in the front axle for starters...:awesomework:

3-4" lift springs, move the front axle forward, swap IFS box for crossover steering, trim the crap out of the body.

This is gonna be the best option if you're looking for a good stance. Just make sure you don't go too cheap on the springs or you'll end up having to cut out a lot more in the future.

here is how my was done by Ethan Taylor and he builds the low pro spring hangers and installs them. He does GREAT WORK!! he goes by TB-F on this board send him a PM and ask how much to do the IFS cross over and spring hanger he will hook you up and make your rig go strait down the road! mine drives strait as an arrow!:awesomework:

http://wow4x4.com/bulletin/showthread.php?t=1127

Good luck!:awesomework:

I would suggest going with a 37" tall tire on a 8" wide rim with 3.5" backspacing and 4" TG, All Pro or Marlin springs front and rear.

Frenched spring mount up front moved about an inch forward with 5" shackles. This, along with the springs I recommended will push the front axle far enough forward to clear the firewall.

Rear spring mount frenched in frame and 5" shackles. The rig will sit nice and low and will only require minimal trimming on the front and rear fenders.

If you do a good job on the trimming it wont look hacked up:awesomework:

Sooo true. I have seen some that look like they were cut with a butter knife and other that looked stock. A good trim job will look even better then before. You may, with a low lift and big meats, need to mod the fire wall if it still hits the tire after the axles is moved. Those trucks look good sittin low on 38's, but it can be alot of work. If you do not trust your own work then get someone to help and it will go alot smoother:awesomework: