• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Kelly Builds Wyatt a Shaved & Narrowed 14b Rear

rockwild said:
yup looked real good, but I didn't get to check it out as much as you thought molaugh

How's it feel to get beat by an 89 ford Taurus molaugh molaugh molaugh

Hell I coulda showed up crossed the starting line again each time and not even go around the course one full time like I did at Grayrock and beat you :flipoff1:

22nd place be so fast! :flipoff1: damn I cant believe that 89 taurus is so fast he made the top 25! oh **** there were only 25 laughing1 laughing1 laughing1

:flipoff1:

hey fawker - didn't see you out there :flipoff1:

I had one "respectable" run of like 1:30 ish, the rest I was over twice what everyone else was running. I never drove the damn thing before and on the last run the motor was hesitating for some reason, took me from 95hp down to like 40

i'll say this though of XRRA - it takes some money to run and be competitive!

Anyway if you wanna **** talk come over to my thread, this is a wierd place for it

rockwild said:
That it no lie. Sure is a lot more fun to watch than the RROCK. We left after 2 hours bored out of our minds.

rockwild said:
hey fawker - didn't see you out there :flipoff1:

I had one "respectable" run of like 1:30 ish, the rest I was over twice what everyone else was running. I never drove the damn thing before and on the last run the motor was hesitating for some reason, took me from 95hp down to like 40

Anyway if you wanna **** talk come over to my thread, this is a wierd place for it

Hey I was just lippin' **** right back atcha don't get all butt hurt!

.. and I coulda told you it's a $$ sport what's why you don't see me out there I ain't got the cheddar for it.

MUCHADO said:
.. and I coulda told you it's a $$ sport what's why you don't see me out there I ain't got the cheddar for it.

I actually thought it was budget doable until I tried it... molaugh Got damn what was I on ???

yup my budget buggy can "do" it but I don't think I'll ever have the power to be competitive, I might try crawlin it but there ain't no venue to do it

rockwild said:
yup my budget buggy can "do" it but I don't think I'll ever have the power to be competitive, I might try crawlin it but there ain't no venue to do it

RROCK?

(sorry wyatt, thread DERAIL)

Sorry Wyatt...

Yea I plan to hit the Grayrock XRRA annually since I have the last 2 years ( 1 in exhibition ) since its close and so so so so so so so much fun ! I may scrape enough $$ to run another here and there next year too. We shall see. thumb.gif

( Wyatt.. pics , you need to breath on topic life back into this thread son !! :drinkers: )

P said:
Sorry Wyatt...

Yea I plan to hit the Grayrock XRRA annually since I have the last 2 years ( 1 in exhibition ) since its close and so so so so so so so much fun ! I may scrape enough $$ to run another here and there next year too. We shall see. thumb.gif

( Wyatt.. pics , you need to breath on topic life back into this thread son !! :drinkers: )

the part that's the killer is travel! you'd be a dumass to not do grayrock! thumb.gif

Travis, that's racing. You beat me by :20 seconds I think is what I saw. I had 3 badass runs that I got hung on 1 obstical each time and turned slow times. That's the way it goes. Kelly rolling hurt us though, but that's the breaks.
I know who had to have a backhoe cart them off the course twice though.... LOL!!!! Fawker!
If your really bragging about beating me at the bottom I don't know what to say....

Honestly I think the racing itself is reasonable. It is the cost to get to and from. I had $1k in fuel cost this past weekend. That's insane!

I want to race XRRA again next year but need to just see about the dollars before I commit. The wife changing careers could crush it for me short term...we'll see once she starts collecting a paycheck.

just givin you **** - I just wanted to go out and do it and you can tell by my times that i was in no hurry

Finishing 3 courses was enough for me, woulda like to get the 4th but that was a bitch after the rain and it's probably better that the shaft let go before everything else did

So I finally snapped some pics. Still no paint, so got the nice flash rust to it. This way you can see what we did before I cover it with Black Paint.

13" of clearance at the diff on 39" BFG Red Labels with 10psi
18.5" to center of axle tube

So from center of axle tube to bottom of diff is 5.5"s :eek:

I gained almost 2" over the D60. :eek:

Sorry I have no idea on the weight difference of the swap. I can lift and move the 14b on my own, the D60 is too heavy to safely move around. I shed some wieght, how much????

Odd thing about the 14b we started with. The factory plug welds on the housing to the axle tubes were entirely missed. So good thing we were welding the tubes onto the diff for added support.

Now for the pics.
I tossed a Corona in for reference.

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3009.jpg

My link geometery is exactly the same. Here is a top view of the truss. No one makes a 1" misalignment spacer to my knowledge, so I cut 8 1" ID HREW to 5/16" wide spacers with a chop saw and had Kelly weld them to work for misaligns. They aren't perfect, but they are damn close for a chopsaw, and a flapdisk to true them up.
IMG_3023.jpg

Snout support, suckdown attachment point, and you can see my sway bar is back in place.
IMG_3022.jpg

Everything is the same on this axle to my rear steer axle. I could swap them out in under and hour.

Only things I need to do....
-I need to add a few more attachment points for the brake line. Drill some holes and ziptie, ot I was thinking the bent washer trick welded on and then ziptie fasten the line in the "v" from the bent washer....
-Replace the two diff cover brace bolts with something not so long.
-Reattach Vent
-Paint

A few more, you can tell it came out of the Dungeon cause it lacks paint. :flipoff1:

Merle did a helluva a job setting up the 4.88's and Detroit. We only ran into one issue. Brake Caliper fawkup on us when we were reinstalling. Call is a by product of 19-20 hour days.

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

I mean who carries spare rear axles anyway??? Felt cool though knowing we had a WHOLE spare at Hannibal.
Here she sits temporarily until I decide where to store her up at.

IMG_3088.jpg

So, seriously, what would be the price for a shave and cover mod? :dunno:
I already have the axle, gear, locker, cover, brakes and everything else.

Beyer said:
So, seriously, what would be the price for a shave and cover mod? :dunno:
I already have the axle, gear, locker, cover, brakes and everything else.

Kelly was talking about templating mine as he went, and then burning it out and selling as kits. Or that may have been Rob's his wan't as drastic.

We talked back and forth what it should be worth. Niether of us know. I mean whats somebody willing to pay to have that done to that level? Its a ton of labor. So $500? More? Less?