• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Killing coyotes

85toyo

My parents recently purchased some land and are building a house on it. We have talked to a few people that live in the area and they say there is a bad coyote problem. They don't bother me but the neighbor said the coyotes killed both of his beagles which is a problem for me since I have two young basset hounds. I'm not home enough to try trapping and really don't like the idea anyways. I'm limited on the fire power because it is inside city limits so I'll either have to use a .22 magnum or bow to keep it quite. Has anyone had any experience getting rid of them? What works?

22 mag and get an electric call. It need to be dark when you call and you will feel the time to turn the light on and shoot. We have been using the jeeps bluetooth radio to make the call louder. You will know you are doing the call right when they howl at the call. Its kinda scary but fun at the same time. Good luck and post pics of them when you get them

Take u a big treble hook with raw chicken on them,hang it high enough they have to jump to get it and use sum good strong rope that will hold at least 50lbs and they will be there the next time u come to check the hook. :****: it works :dblthumb:

ranger11 said:
22 mag and get an electric call. It need to be dark when you call and you will feel the time to turn the light on and shoot. We have been using the jeeps bluetooth radio to make the call louder. You will know you are doing the call right when they howl at the call. Its kinda scary but fun at the same time. Good luck and post pics of them when you get them

I've got a old school call that takes a cassete tape so I'll probably be trying that. Are you baiting them at all or just using the call? Also, how far away from the call do you set up?

cztheman64 said:
grenades. grenades work great!

Although they may not be in the no shooting ordinance I'd rather not have the local police harassing me :****:

muleskinner said:
Take u a big treble hook with raw chicken on them,hang it high enough they have to jump to get it and use sum good strong rope that will hold at least 50lbs and they will be there the next time u come to check the hook. :****: it works :dblthumb:

Thats cruel no matter what type of animal it is. No thanks

85toyo said:
I've got a old school call that takes a cassete tape so I'll probably be trying that. Are you baiting them at all or just using the call? Also, how far away from the call do you set up?

Although they may not be in the no shooting ordinance I'd rather not have the local police harassing me :****:

No lie we play it through the jeeps radio and set up around the jeep. You never know where they will come out. but usually you can hear them coming. Its kinda like deer hunting in the dark. I play the call a few times and see if you get a repose if not its prob not yotes.

an electronic call and one of them wobble balls with a toy coon skin cap or a wiper motor with an arm on it,

basically rig up something to make some motion

Get ready to shoot em off!

ranger11 said:
No lie we play it through the jeeps radio and set up around the jeep. You never know where they will come out. but usually you can hear them coming. Its kinda like deer hunting in the dark. I play the call a few times and see if you get a repose if not its prob not yotes.

Are you using a call that sounds like a coyote or the injured rabbit type of call?

TBItoy said:
an electronic call and one of them wobble balls with a toy coon skin cap or a wiper motor with an arm on it,

basically rig up something to make some motion

Get ready to shoot em off!

Need one of these too. I'll check bass pro in the morning to see what kind of decoys they have. thumb.gif

These two came off the farm we hunt in south Alabama. I've always shot them while I'm deer hunting but never really tried hunting them.

80117139-44C4-49A3-AC3D-47D17AAE8DE1-2013-0000052CA645FD9B_zps42785b24.jpg

Electric call....17hmr, 22mag...maybe some chicken left out near the call.

We usually do this with deer guts on our hunting property in the past. Electronic call and gut the deer we kill. Set that bitch in the middle of the field outside the cabin, drink beer and wait. Flip the lights on at the right time and blast away.

Now is the perfect time to hunt them. The young ones are screaming like crazy at my place . There not to smart and are easy to call. Beware, grown coyotes can smell like crazy, and will circle down wind when you call. You can put a stuffed coyote, ( or stake the family dog) out in the middle of a field when calling, and the group will think is an intruder in there territory. When they come to run the intruder away, BANG!

I have always had good luck in cold early morning hunts , primos turbo dog predetar call works well lots of options to get em in with, pup frenzy, and serenade calls will get em goin, in no time!

you can take a big long PVC pic cap the end and put a piece of chickin in it and face it down hill, they will go head first in it and cant back out up the hill because its to slick, works good for a trap worked many times for me If you dnt have the time to hunt them

A sponged soaked in bacon grease will get rid of them. Make sure no ones pet dog can get to it.

I use a Fox pro with a rabbit decoy. Blow that rabbit in distress call and they come in drooling. The sneaky ones that have been hunted for a bit will circle downwind. They will come in in a group. Usually one or two will circle and the size of the circle decreases, unless they are really hungry, then they get kinda careless. .17hmr would be ideal. If I had more time on my hands I would love to come blast some.

Large treble hook, steel leader piece of chicken. Hang um like limb lines.... bury coyote. . Don't get caught. Illegal as hell works like a motherfucker

Re: Re: Re: Killing coyotes

85toyo said:
Are you using a call that sounds like a coyote or the injured rabbit type of call?

I bought an app for my driod has a bunch of different calls.

RCMafia79 said:
A sponged soaked in bacon grease will get rid of them. Make sure no ones pet dog can get to it.
Like a whole sponge or chunks. I understand what your going for just wanna know how big I need to start the chunk out. Like a dishwashing sponge or one to wash the truck with?