• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

KILLING LP D60s HELP!!!

tonybolton said:
Dana 80 any better?
dana 80 centers are to big for me. i guess there good if you wanna run 2" shafts. but i dont have the HP to need 2" shafts. but i prefer the 14 bolt housing. and its has a pinion noise bearing to help with pinion deflection.

patooyee said:
What is so different about a 14-bolt front that it won't fit where a 60 is? Pinion offset?

correct. I run a 1 piece driveline and have offset my motor for max uptravel. Hell, i even drive on the passenger side because of the offset motor. A 14bolt would fit, but would not have any short side tube to attach link mounts to. My chassis is very unique though, so i am not saying this is the case for everyone.

74_Chevota said:
correct. I run a 1 piece driveline and have offset my motor for max uptravel. Hell, i even drive on the passenger side because of the offset motor. A 14bolt would fit, but would not have any short side tube to attach link mounts to. My chassis is very unique though, so i am not saying this is the case for everyone.

I know what you're saying and I don't disagree. My point about draggbody's axle though was that they don't HAVE to be built this way. This was in response to someone asking him what his pinion offset turned out to be in relation to a normal Chevy 60:

draggbody said:
i want to say about an inch... i cut the cast housing at an angle to match the link tab on that side and i could have cut more, but it wasnt needed... it was just easier to offset the pinion a little...

As already stated, draggbody does not race or air his rig out 20' on a regular basis. But he doesn't beat the ever loving **** out of it. I think he went through 3 LP60 4.56 gearsets in one year before he built the 14-bolt. So its not like he's babying the 14-bolt. If there's enough will I think there is a way. PLus, the 14-bolt pinion is so low it helps make up for some loss of offset.

Re: Re: KILLING LP D60s HELP!!!

MoonlightRacing77 said:
I believe he destoyed it a Grayrock on Cable Hill
He just broke an rcv and the rear drive shaft let go. In three years he said he's only had one r&p failure. He seemed really happy overall with the setup.

Drew Pate
Cordova Al

Back when Darryl Jones and Brian Cole had the baddest buggies out there they both had lp60 front. They both broke occasionally, but still got beat hard with healthy motors. I know it was before stickies came out, but they had pretty good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patooyee said:
What is so different about a 14-bolt front that it won't fit where a 60 is? Pinion offset?

I ran narrowed axles and a passenger drop 14 bolt put the driveshaft under my engine

whiskeymakin said:
Setup has ALOT to do with most people's problems

This is the bible. Look how long a factory setup lasts, then after breaking one they pop like popcorn at a theater.