• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Kind of a dumb question

jakes89f150

but when i was looking for gears for my ford 8.8 today i was pricing 3.55's (the current gears in my truck) and just thought i would check to see how much gears for the front were (Dana 44 TTB)
But came to find out that they dont offer 3.55's for a dana 44 or atleast summit racing didnt list them. They offer 3.54's
So dump question time could you actually mismatch your gears 3.55's rear 3.54's front or would it just blow a ujoint, or the tcase as soon as you hit the concrete.
And no i would never do this. Id be steping up to 4.10s if i did both diffs

Last edited:
You should check out the seattle craigslist. Just search bronco. Theres a guy parting an 83 with an 8.8 and detroit locker. I e-mailed him to verify it's an 8.8, supposed to have been professionally rebuilt 3 years ago with a detroit and 3.55's. He wants $400, I don't have the money but it might be a good deal.

For your peace of mind you should check the ring and pinon specs from both manufacturers. They may be the same and are just two different ways of rounding off the same ratio.

Thanks ill look into that 8.8 thats a hell of a deal, hope its not sold.

And to one up i noticed after i posted this that there are 2 different sets of dana 44 gears.
There is no 8.8 3.55's there 3.545's, and the 2 types of Dana 44 gears, are 3.538's and 3.545's