• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

knock sensor blues

yotacrazy

i have a 89 toyota 4runner with a v6 (horrible engine) picked it up for 6 hundo, lady thought it had blown head gasket, ended up being 3 quarts to much oil, lots of vaccum leaks.... and a knock sensor. i installed a new one and the pig tail to the outside or intake. still throwing code and cant figure it out. any ideas, forums or past nightmares your-self?
:mad::mad:

it also has a decent valve tick on cylinder no 2 but i dont have the tool to compress the spring, i i have heard worse out of my 22re and it never botherded it

ya a 3.0 w/ auto was not my first choice, but the price was right and it is a vehicle for my wife to drive w/ our 3 month old sun in the snowy roads. if it was for me it would get a solid axle and one or the two tbi 350's in my shop put in it, but its not for me so i gotta figure sensor out.

thanks, workin on it tommorow night. gonna fix the valve tick and see what happens. i can start it up and no code but as soon and i get 20 feet down the road the code comes on and it falls on its face.

Black smoke is unburnt fuel. I don't have much experience with Toys but sounds like the knock sensor is shorted out making it think it has a wild knock and is dumping fuel in to it to stop it.

More like it's pulling timing, probably.
besides wiring and sensor problems, piston rattle and sometimes rod knock will fool the ecu into thinking it has detonation and doing this same thing.

did some investigating into thevalve tick and found a toasted intake lobe on numer 2. pulled it apart and found some yahoo not only had the timing two teeth off on the left side but also forgot to install the shim on the number 2 intake. got new cam but now i cant find shims thick enough to get correct lash. need around 3.52mm shims, any ideas? toyota said they stop @ 3.1mm