• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Kobalt tools

JThompson

I saw some sets of Kobalt tools at the new Lowes in Monroe, and wondered what peoples' take on this brand is. I have always used Craftsmen, and have had good luck. (I do have a lot of older Craftsmen tools, not newer)
They seemed nice enough, and a lifetime warranty. But didn't seem to offer a savings over Craftsmen, or equivelant.

I've been eyeballing the kobalt toolsets too, but the way I see it, I either want to buy really cheap so if it breaks, I don't feel as bad getting a new one, or buy Craftsman, so I know I can just go to a sears and get it replaced. The Kobalt tools may be lifetime waranty, but can you just take them to a Lowe's and get them replaced, or do you have to send them in?

I use to have a set of the wrenchs and pliers, and was not very happy with the pliers. the wrenchs are ok, but dont have the length I like.

Last edited:
I've been eyeballing the kobalt toolsets too, but the way I see it, I either want to buy really cheap so if it breaks, I don't feel as bad getting a new one, or buy Craftsman, so I know I can just go to a sears and get it replaced. The Kobalt tools may be lifetime waranty, but can you just take them to a Lowe's and get them replaced, or do you have to send them in?

Exactly my thinking. I bet you could take them back to Lowes, but not for sure. It would suck to have to send the tools. One thing to consider,though... There is still talk of Sears going under. What then!?

Depends on the tool:

Box wrenches=never seen even the cheapest ones fail.
Open end wrenches=most are good; super cheap will spread
Sockets=most are good; cheapest ones will crack
Screwdrivers=buy the best you can afford
Ratchet= if its not old stock craftsman, old stock proto, or snapon, its worthless.

I'll bet the Kobalt set will hold up less the ratchet.

kobalt IS replacable at the lowes store
i even returned an air tool from kobalt
no questions asked:awesomework:
sears has been going down and was recently baught by k-mart
blue light craftsman sales!

I think they are great for the money no complaints yet. I only have a set for trail use.

So tell me gay when is the last time you actually used a set of hand tools, other then to scratch your inner ear canal.

So tell me gay when is the last time you actually used a set of hand tools, other then to scratch your inner ear canal.

Well no one was supposed to know I have the tools and they have still never been used. However they are still not broken..lol Thats what happens when you buy a set of tools for a Jeep that your friend ****ed up beyond recognition. :redneck:

But you do know that to hold and use a tool are two different things and it might be a pos but at lest its just about paid for.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Between my business partner and I, we've got numerous Craftsman, SnapOn and Kobalt tools in the shop.

There are many similarities between the brands. I think (not sure) that Krazy Al's SnapOn ratchet is nearly a duplicate to my Stanley ratchet that I bought on sale at Walmart. - no joke!

I've been using Kobalt hand tools for the last year (Thanks to the new Lowe's credit card) and so far... so good.

Long story short: I can't stomach SnapOn prices so I compare Craftsman and Kobalt when it's time for a new tool. Essentially I end up getting the one that I can afford... aka which ever credit card has the room to charge it on. Sears or Lowes :redneck:

I'm heading to Lowes tomorrow to check out more tools that I cannot live without. I've got my eye on a new 3/8 gun and maybe a 1/4 gun or butterfly. Oh yea... I need a new heavy duty floor jack as well. :haha:

:cool:I know this is an old thread, but, I bought a 350 ft. lb. dual hammer impact and it is F...in sweet! guess the price?!...$30. It is to date one of the better impacts I have used and thats including a couple of 600 ft lb. $100+ dollar impacts...no question ask 3 yr warranty on it, and you cant beat the price...so if your in the market Id buy one, check it out, and if you honestly dont like it...take it back...that was my thought when I bought it, but Im keeping the thing, its badass.

I keep oogling all the Kobalt stuff at work and it all seems quality.. as far as returning stuff as a lowes employee I know for a fact that if you came in and said i bought this and it broke , i always shop here type of thing...they will do alot to make you happy...atleast my store manager is like that..some small town locals came in once and asked for a small discount on a fridge and he gave them two new ones for free...