• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ktm repair.

boxboy

can I be your friend...
Well I have been having over heating issue with my bike since I bought it, KTM does not put the rad fan on the US sold 530 models so I picked up the rad fan but they told me the stator or what ever it is called will not provide enough power for the fan and to charge up the battery. So I picked up the stator and the rad fan and a new tire while i was there.

Stator Kit
SNC00138_zps268fc35f.jpg

Rad fan kit
SNC00139_zps166c6922.jpg

the new oil and filter :awesomework:
SNC00140_zpsf2075187.jpg

new tire Dunlop D606 dot tire
SNC00141_zps9c551f3c.jpg

Sick dude:cool: Been riding here and there through the winter but can't wait for **** to start warming up:beer:

..........Also...your not using your buggy properly....needs more riding gear hanging from it:haha:

rad

SNC00159_zpsed591fdd.jpg

Oh also one of my straps broke and the bike fell off the trailer this last fall crushing the subframe, so I was going to take a look at that as well...

what do you think? anything wrong?

front of subframe:
SNC00162_zpsf337cbae.jpg

Back part of sub frame:
SNC00158_zps8b2f7c5e.jpg

Well I have been having over heating issue with my bike since I bought it, KTM does not put the rad fan on the US sold 530 models so I picked up the rad fan but they told me the stator or what ever it is called will not provide enough power for the fan and to charge up the battery. So I picked up the stator and the rad fan and a new tire while i was there.

whoever said you need a new stator is full of it. i never had a battery issue with mine. your real issue is jetting. once you desmog, uncork and rejet you will never have an issue with overheat. mine used to boil over like a bitch and the fan would run almost constantly untill i did the mods.

whoever said you need a new stator is full of it. i never had a battery issue with mine. your real issue is jetting. once you desmog, uncork and rejet you will never have an issue with overheat. mine used to boil over like a bitch and the fan would run almost constantly untill i did the mods.

All that has been completed before I even took the bike out for the first time.

As for the stock stator it only puts out about 30w at idle and 150W at peak rpm (although when i was testing i never could get it to 150w) this may be fine with just the fan and charging the bat but once I add HID lighting and a GPS it just will not be enough power. The upgrade kit also provides an extra wire so adding the GPS or other electronics is much easier.

I've never had overheating issues with my 530 (tight trails, hill climbs in 90 degrees plus). The stock stator will run the fan but maybe not with that other stuff. Oversize gas tanks can impair cooling ability. My friend has and exc 450 and it would overheat strapped in the back of his truck. He used the fan from a computer (free) and the ktm wiring harness and has had no further issues. Any of you guys headed to the desert 100?

I've never had overheating issues with my 530 (tight trails, hill climbs in 90 degrees plus). The stock stator will run the fan but maybe not with that other stuff. Oversize gas tanks can impair cooling ability. My friend has and exc 450 and it would overheat strapped in the back of his truck. He used the fan from a computer (free) and the ktm wiring harness and has had no further issues. Any of you guys headed to the desert 100?

I think I will be at the desert 100 not sure if i will do the race or just the poker run.

How is the 530 on the road. I am a bigger guy and am looking into either a used 530 or a 690. I still want to do plenty of trail riding as well, tahuya, naches, evans creek type of bike trails. I'm just looking into the differences. It looks like the 690 is about 40+ lbs heavier. I'm worried about the 530 on the street not being enough and worried about the 690 on the trails being too much. It's time to get off the old MX bike.

It depends how many miles you want to do on pavement. The 530's fine power wise, it will get to 90+ mph in no time. Its light weight and the famous KTM seat will rear their heads on too much pavement. If you want a trail bike that can transition to other trails, 530. If you are a bigger guy (like over 6', #200) a 690 would be awesome. It would be a little worse on trails (the more technical, the worse) but off the tight trails it would be a blast. A buddy of mine uses a 950 SE for the trails in the taneum. I think the ultimate combo would be a 690 and a 300.

I am a bigger guy, 6'5" and over 400 lbs. I look more like a pro football lineman than a dirtbiker. I think I could handle the 690 just fine on most trails.

I am a bigger guy, 6'5" and over 400 lbs. I look more like a pro football lineman than a dirtbiker. I think I could handle the 690 just fine on most trails.

:beer: If you're that size you might want to grab a 950 SE. My friend has one and he's 6'7" and 230 and he can ride all the trails he wants too. All the Taneum trails and most above Leavenworth. If your current bike is a 426, any '08 or newer KTM is going to be a huge change. Plus they have the magic button.:D

How do you like the D606 as an off road tire? I am not really interested in using them for more then a few miles of road riding from my house to walker. I hear that they are probably the best DOT aproved off road tire right now. If they are what they say they are I may sell my street tire setup and just run 606s all the time.

the D606 is a DOT approved tire but it is rated at 90% 10% so 90% dirt 10% street. I also put a lighter rim lock so it takes less weight to balance the tire but still be able to run at the lower air pressures when on the dirt.

to really get the tire to hook up I drop the air way down... I will even get it down to around 8 psi (and lower) when really muddy out but then I really watch I don't hit rocks to hard as I have gotten many compression flats running such low pressures. I also run a heavy tube...

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the info. I plan to re-spoke my wheels after this summer and do a tubeless setup front and rear along with D606.