• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Late Model XJ, Coilovers, D44s, 37.5" KM2s

Lead Foot

Figured I would start updating a build thread here. You can find my complete build thread from start to current by checking out one of the below sites.

http://www.off-camber.com/forum/topic/369-late-model-xj/

http://crawlinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35170

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-cherokee/1090783-fst-late-model-build.html

Got familiar with the Bender and Bend Tech today. The notcher was probably more of a pain to dial in properly than the bender.

Sorry the progress is a little slow but here ya go.

Sweet! :awesomework: Will need to get up your way and introduce myself sometime...Andy (Oil Can on here) will be tickled there's another white "1/2 a jeep" (long story-inside joke....) being built in Lynden! :haha:

Actually got called out on a search last night for an elderly special needs male up there...Was crawlin' all over Lynden lookin for him til 4 am...:thud: Stopped by my parents' place and checked the back porch on the way home! :redneck:
Ended up he was found at his neighbor's house at 8am, and he was ok... :smile:

Yea. I drive by Andy's place all the time. Stopped by once and introduced myself.

Sounds like you had an interesting night. Lol

I love 4 day weekends. Time to get crap done.

Progress.

Gonna have to do some slight manipulation to the wiper arms.

Looks good---:awesomework:

Never made it up to Lynden today, but I did manage to hit Everson, and then Ferndale later in the day!!!:redneck: Long story...:mad:

Nice. I drive 2500+ miles a month for work.

Did you happen to come across any knuckles you may have had laying around? :D

Got the hood lines done on both sides and most of the passenger fender. Need to get some 90* fitting for my reservoirs so I can run them inside.

Got the rear coilovers mounted up. Picked up 4 90* fittings but went off the front threads for all 4 which are 1/2", the rear are 3/8". So I need to exchange those, put the bump stops on the shafts (which I think will be easier to remove the piston and valving to slide them on verse taking off the lower mount) then bleed and assemble the shocks so I can get them charged. What fluid is everyone using in their shocks?

Gonna be able to keep the cargo area sealed and useable.

Barely cleared the spring when flexed out. Would't have been able to make it work without the wheel spacers.

So just checked and it seems my effective rear corner sprung weight is about 625lbs. Doesnt that seem lower then it should be? Its not loaded down with gear and still got a little tube work to do, but still...

About 906lbs front corner effective sprung weight. I should also mention that I only have 1/4 tank of gas, no gear, no spare.

Nice. I drive 2500+ miles a month for work.

Did you happen to come across any knuckles you may have had laying around? :D

Crap..I forgot to look before heading off on vacation with the fam! :redneck: I will be in the shop tomorrow all day and will check my stash.
:awesomework: You are flyin' right along on this...Can't wait to see it in person...:cool:

So I took apart my coilovers to add the bumpstops on the shafts and bleed the air I let in when adding the 90 degree fittings on the remote reservoirs.

FOAs instructions and all other instructions I find say to set the internal floating piston at a depth of 8" then push in the seal head and wiper cap. Nowhere could I find anyone specifically stating the shaft exposure when doing this. Everyone seems to just be throwing them in willy-nilly. So I did some testing and I found today that it is indeed VERY important.

On an 18" coilover with a 7/8' shaft, there is 10.83 cubic inches of displacement from fully extended to compressed.
The remote reservoir is about 2.2" inner diameter so to take up 10.83 cubic inches, the IFS would travel 2.85".

This is the issue, the IFS bottoms out in these reservoirs at 8.75". When I installed my seal head, I had the shaft all the way compressed against the wiper cap to help guide the seal head in strait. This means that when I pull the shaft back out it will hydrolock and attempt to pull air pass the seals.

SO if installing the seal head with the shaft completely compressed then the IFS depth should be less than 5.9". If installing with the shaft completely extended then the IFS depth could be a maximum of just under 8.75.

Sound right? So is everyone just assembling these with the shafts extended and this is just general knowledge? Thought I would post it up anyways.