• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lifted Toy, Need local help with front driveline!

You tell us how you have spent too much and cannot spend anymore to fix the problem.

Then you shoot down every cheap fix. I dont think you will be happy even with an EXPENSIVE fix.

If the rear shaft is fine and the front shaft is giving you the vibe, then dont drive it in 4HI.

Why are you worried about a front shafts performance at 40 mph plus? You racing this rig?

Somthing is wrong with my front end. I have a 93, so my oem front shaft is the lowest of working angle DC's they make.

This statement is false if the shaft in your pics is the one your talking about.

The shaft in your SAS pics looks to be the one that was in it when it was IFS, correct?

If so that is not the shaft thats supposed to be in it stock. Someone along the line has replaced it with a older style one.

If the shaft in your pics is not able to droop enough then you have a HUGE truck (which you dont).

The shaft in the pics is almost pointing at the ground and is capable of any angle your front axle can throw at it.

Chop- I think that one ended up in my rear shaft. I have yet to locate another one of same working angle. I just don't know enough about this stuff nor do I remember exactly what is what as it was about 6mo to a year ago.

Sorry im beginning to sound retarded.

POR- im at work and will call u this eve.

And to set record straight. I don't really comfortable with the vibes on 4lo or 4hi in anything over 2nd gear. So anything 7mph or higher. Something is wrong.....

Last edited:
Run a single U-joint at each end and build square tube drive line!
I can go 60 in 4hi with no vibration at all. I have a high pinion now but when i didnt (im still using the exact same drive line) it was exactly the same. Always smooth.
Just a thought but maybe your T case bearing is ****ed, i had a gnarly vibration in my rear after high centering on a stump and tweaking it, drove it home all messed up, put a new to me straight DL in and still had vibrations. turnd out i ****ed my main output shaft bearing in the t-case. fixed and now its golden.

Unbolt the driveshaft and rotate it 1/4 turn and rebolt it.

This was the first thing I checked. I also rotate each different Drivelines I test to see if just maybe it fixs it. No such luck. Thanks for the reply!

Run a single U-joint at each end and build square tube drive line!
I can go 60 in 4hi with no vibration at all. I have a high pinion now but when i didnt (im still using the exact same drive line) it was exactly the same. Always smooth.
Just a thought but maybe your T case bearing is ****ed, i had a gnarly vibration in my rear after high centering on a stump and tweaking it, drove it home all messed up, put a new to me straight DL in and still had vibrations. turnd out i ****ed my main output shaft bearing in the t-case. fixed and now its golden.

That was my last resort fix. Except using square tube, I have what your suggesting currently in my truck. No such luck. Thanks for the reply!

Im stumped....

I have already wasted enough $ on finding my problems (previous and current) that if I would have just went to someone who knows there **** in the firs place. I would have been able to afford dual cases and the xmember and everything else. But all the $ I have into my shafts, shims, rear leaf placement, front axle placement ect, I just dont want to do it on this truck. If I do, ill build a linked up flatbed or somthing. I just want an adventure rig. somthing capable, but still able to take my enduro to eastern wa. ya know.

I was just explaining what the differences might have been between your truck and one I helped out with...I think, no...I know your answer is in here, without spending a bunch of dough...

I am curious as to what degree your angles are now on your TC output and the axle input...

I mean... you are saying that to match the angle of the TC your front pinion will be pointing towards the ground... that seems a bit off...

if you are home during the day tomorrow, i could stop by and, at the very least, take a peek at it.. up to you.. I will be passing through Yelm on my way south...

I have set up quite a few DL angles over the years and might be able to point you towards a direction that might help... maybe...

shoot me a PM if interested, or a call... 253-227-1040

You tell us how you have spent too much and cannot spend anymore to fix the problem. I can spend a little toward fixing it. I just know it will end up being a replacement of the front shaft. That will intail, shaft+lengthening+balance. This will still be like $150-$200. Wife just lost job, gota keep it budget for a bit. A friend has a shaft and is going to help me extend it. I just hope it has enough working angle.

Then you shoot down every cheap fix. I dont think you will be happy even with an EXPENSIVE fix.
Im game for cheap fix! But like you say it will still probably vibrate. I would be willing to pay some one to clearance one. Seems like a major chore from what ive read.

If the rear shaft is fine and the front shaft is giving you the vibe, then dont drive it in 4HI.

Why are you worried about a front shafts performance at 40 mph plus? You racing this rig?
Racing, jumping, u name it, I like to drive fast! Plus I drive a lot of mtn roads and like snow. I more of a "speed=distance" sort of guy.

Run a single U-joint at each end and build square tube drive line! Your the 2nd person ive heard with a successful square dshaft. Can you fill me in about your pinion and tcase working angles? THANKS
2nd tcase and trans combo

I was just explaining what the differences might have been between your truck and one I helped out with...I know, Im sorry I was on my phone earlier. I totally understand. A friend has a dual cased yota just like mine and simply dual casing it extends the front shaft and makes desireable working angles. He has the dreaded nasty bearing howl noise from the tcase off throttle. Due to bad angles or somthing. I fixed my nasty bearing howl by installing a dual cardan, I told him this and he doesnt give a ****. lol, but your right, those are the differences.

I think, no...I know your answer is in here, without spending a bunch of dough...Im ready and waiting!!! I cant wait to be able to drive some of my roads in 4hi!

I am curious as to what degree your angles are now on your TC output and the axle input...

I mean... you are saying that to match the angle of the TC your front pinion will be pointing towards the ground... that seems a bit off... Tcase flange actually points up, so if I were to keep within the rules of no more than 1-3* difference from pinion and tcase flanges AND I want to run SINGLE ujoint, top and bottom, then the pinion would be pointing the ground. Right? This Is why I know my answer lies in a dual cardan joint. Just need one with enough angle. But I cant really test just a stock shaft unless I extend it..

if you are home during the day tomorrow, i could stop by and, at the very least, take a peek at it.. up to you.. I will be passing through Yelm on my way south......What time? Im trying to get out of work early, but not sure that I can really leave tacoma and arive to yelm until like 2-4?

I have set up quite a few DL angles over the years and might be able to point you towards a direction that might help... maybe.....
Sounds good man, I really appreciate the offer!!
shoot me a PM if interested, or a call... 253-227-1040

I dunno, B-rads driveline and bbq sammich shop is what works for most on a budget yota guys in the yelm area. Could save up your nickels and go see dave at advanced drivline by yelm high. Dave is a good guy, but don't have choppy's wheeling expertise.

I have a minty 85 Toy CV like you need to make your pile work, and I'm real close by. Got the 2nd case you'd need to do duals too if you wanted to go that route.

Shoot me a PM or a call/text at 253-209-2045

Last edited:
Well Brad got me all squared away. Shims installed, extended high working angle driveline in. Test drove it up to 45 in 4h, all is well!

BRAD IS THE MAN! (But I didn't get my sammich:haha:)

Looks like ill be up at elbe tomorrow with a friend in an jeep. He's not very capable but who knows, he might be able to make it around this tine a year?

Well Brad got me all squared away. Shims installed, extended high working angle driveline in. Test drove it up to 45 in 4h, all is well!

BRAD IS THE MAN! (But I didn't get my sammich:haha:)

Looks like ill be up at elbe tomorrow with a friend in an jeep. He's not very capable but who knows, he might be able to make it around this tine a year?

Thanks Jesse. Toyotas are a simple beast. Just a little soothing and they will purr for many years.

Sammich=next time!! Have fun at Elbe. :beer:

We made it to elbe. I had never ran the busy so we figured now would be a good time to see what it was like. It was pretty mild if you ask me. But I can assume with this time a year and logging going on that it contributes to it.

Truck did great all day. As soon as I got to uneven ground somthing up front started clicking (sounds like a FWD car with really bad cv joints when you turn). The clicking was cosistent with rotational speed. Faster the front TC output shaft, driveshaft, front 3rd, axles, locking hubs would turn, the faster the clicking. BUT as soon as you get on a gravel road you can rail in 4WD with zero clicking (from what I can hear).

The working angle of the DS is great, It never maxed out and it never showed me any limitations, Just worried about the clicking.

NOW, as soon as I heard the clicking, It took me back to one of the first driveshafts We built. I instantly rememberd that it would also drive well on road, but when taken offroad, would click very baddly. With fear of failure on the trail, I swapped out the shaft AND have had problems ever since.

What I know.
-Clicks with cv/ dual cardan join up front,
-Vibrates with single ujoints up front,

Clicking almost sounds like broken hub locker or somthing but it doesnt click with the single ujoint shaft in there, so that rules out anything in the front housing, right?

Shees

Heres some photos of the truck.

100_2738.jpg

100_2740.jpg

Latest posts