• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

light laws

RCYJ

hey i need to cut off my 3rd break light to fit my full size spare on... dose anyone know if that is legal or of any solutions?

you dont have to use the 3rd brake light. law only requires two tail lights mounted on the rear of the vehicle.

This is kind of a gray area, BUT...if the vehicle came from the factory with the 3rd brake light-it is supposed to be there...doesn't mean you can't move it...and there are ways to space it so a spare will fit, depending on tire size...

probly a gray area but,i just got pulled over the other day in my little 4dr car and i totally ripped my 3rd light out and all he commented on was my tint and i didnt know my tabs were bad....depends on the cop i guess:corn::beer:

ha ha way to go on your tabs:awesomework: any suggestions are welcome for relocation... i of course want to be able to take my tops off so this causes a small issue

This is kind of a gray area, BUT...if the vehicle came from the factory with the 3rd brake light-it is supposed to be there...doesn't mean you can't move it...and there are ways to space it so a spare will fit, depending on tire size...

the RCW doesnt mention anything about 3rd brake lights that i can find. and I'm gonna go ahead and assume this is on his jeep so the break light is removed when the top is off so I'm sure it wont be an issue.

read #3

RCW 46.37.070
Stop lamps and electric turn signals required.

(1) After January 1, 1964, every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer shall be equipped with two or more stop lamps meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.200, except that passenger cars manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1964, shall be equipped with at least one such stop lamp. On a combination of vehicles, only the stop lamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified in RCW 46.37.200(1).

(2) After January 1, 1960, every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer shall be equipped with electric turn signal lamps meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.200(2), except that passenger cars, trailers, semitrailers, pole trailers, and trucks less than eighty inches in width, manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1953, need not be equipped with electric turn signal lamps.

(3) Every passenger car manufactured or assembled after September 1, 1985; and every passenger truck, passenger van, or passenger sports utility vehicle manufactured or assembled after September 1, 1993, must be equipped with a rear center high-mounted stop lamp meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.200(3).

Last edited:
ahh there we go. so technically any jeep without a hard top on it could get a ticket for not having the 3rd brake light?

I think Quadratec or 4WD Hardware sells an adjustable bracket that allows you to extend the light for larger tires.

But I got rid of mine and never had a problem. :;

ahh there we go. so technically any jeep without a hard top on it could get a ticket for not having the 3rd brake light?
arent they mounted outside, on the spare tire rack?
you remove it when you pull the top?

read #3

RCW 46.37.070
Stop lamps and electric turn signals required.

(1) After January 1, 1964, every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer shall be equipped with two or more stop lamps meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.200, except that passenger cars manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1964, shall be equipped with at least one such stop lamp. On a combination of vehicles, only the stop lamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified in RCW 46.37.200(1).

(2) After January 1, 1960, every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer shall be equipped with electric turn signal lamps meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.200(2), except that passenger cars, trailers, semitrailers, pole trailers, and trucks less than eighty inches in width, manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1953, need not be equipped with electric turn signal lamps.

(3) Every passenger car manufactured or assembled after September 1, 1985; and every passenger truck, passenger van, or passenger sports utility vehicle manufactured or assembled after September 1, 1993, must be equipped with a rear center high-mounted stop lamp meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.200(3).

I call Bull **** on this.

You see plenty of rigs without a third light

I call Bull **** on this.

You see plenty of rigs without a third light
You see plenty of 1993 or better rigs without 3rd BL's??

Name them. Well, lets round it up a little to say 1996, give the manufactures some time to change the models.

Commercial type equipments doesn't count (box trucks, etc).

to the OP, just move the light. Seems to me a recall seeing some kits to relocate the light above an oversized spare on Jeeps. Or mount one to the back of the roll bar for when the top's off.
________
Freexxxtube

Last edited:
You see plenty of 1993 or better rigs without 3rd BL's??

Name them. Well, lets round it up a little to say 1996, give the manufactures some time to change the models.

Commercial type equipments doesn't count (box trucks, etc).

to the OP, just move the light. Seems to me a recall seeing some kits to relocate the light above an oversized spare on Jeeps. Or mount one to the back of the roll bar for when the top's off.

I stand corrected, I missread the 93 thing.

I was thinking about the 85 cars.. my bad

thanks for your help guys now i know where to look :awesomework:and their 3rd light is mounted not on the tops but on the tail gate hovering over the spare tire:masturbanana[1]:

it doesnt say anything in there bought having the 3rd brake light on the tire rack. so if you can mount the light there that would solve the issue.

3rd brake light ?

ha ha way to go on your tabs:awesomework: any suggestions are welcome for relocation... i of course want to be able to take my tops off so this causes a small issue

If you want to go topless then :awesomework:go for it. the 3rd brklite location will not hedrence the removal of the top:rolleyes:, even after you space it up too clear 35's:;. I for 1 haven't had eny problems with the removal of this light:redneck:. I supose it all comes down to ( wright and wrong).:corn::puke:

arent they mounted outside, on the spare tire rack?
you remove it when you pull the top?

I thought I had seen them mounted at the very top of the back glass on the inside but I cant find any good pics right now with that setup so its very possible I'm just retarded. after thinking about it, even if I did see it, it was probably just an older YJ that had it so they wouldnt be required to have teh 3rd BL anyways.

I thought this was a cool place for one. In the hubhole of the spare.

IMG_0246.jpg

Last edited: