• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Limited slip in the front?

Mach Schnell

Alright, Im going to throw a locker in the rear of my 89 ext cab toyota. I know that for sure. What I was wondering is what to do with the front. Obviously a selectable is top choice but the cards dont have that in them. :booo: Ive driven a rig with a full detroit in the front as well as one with a spool :)mad: ) in the front. Neither of them I would want to drive on the road. How much better is a soft locker such as Loc Right on the street then the detroits? Also would a limited slip behave a little better and is the traction gained worth it?

Thanks in advance :corn:

I have driven with a Detroit True-Trac in the front of my truck for quite a while. With the hubs locked in, it will give you some feedback because it wants to go straight. It's more noticeable at slower speeds when turning angle is the greatest. It doesn't bother me at all in any driving condition.

When I drove the full detroit on the road without the hubs locked it would still lock up and then I would turn with all the gracefulness of an oak tree

When I drove the full detroit on the road without the hubs locked it would still lock up and then I would turn with all the gracefulness of an oak tree

Then your hubs were broken. If they were unlocked, they would have been totally disconnected from the differential.

Yeah something wasn't right. If the hubs are unlocked there is no way to ever feel a locker, its just your wheels spinning on bearings.

Now if you've got some crappy thing like a d30 in the jeeps, or anything else without manual hubs, a locker will be noticeable on the street.

Lock it up front and rear, you will be much happier with the off road abilities. Best mod you can do (money well spent) IMO.:awesomework:

You know, I wouldnt put it past my dumbass friend to be driving around with his hubs locked. :rolleyes: I didnt even ask! I would just assume anyone with half a brain wouldnt drive down the road (like freeway) with your hubs locked. God I hope he is sterile :mad:

I ran a spool in the front. Unlock hubs on road an no problem. Even would run one hub out on the trail 90% of the time just to make easy to turn.

If everything is working properly, you shouldn't even notice a Detroit, a Lock Wrong or any other Auto Locker up front in 2 WD. TJ's and YJ's run these products up front all the time and never worry about any steering issues in 2WD.
I have drive flanges up front and have never felt my front Detroit in 2WD.