• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Link Length Question

nick c

Lewis & Clark bitches!
Paging dr Jason C, Crash and other link guru's.

We did some measuring last night so I can order up my link matterial. I know about all the 'magical' calculators but I'd like opinions from those who actaully build link suspensions that I have seen work time and time again.

I've been told by some others that I want my links to be equal length front and rear (so a 50/50 split). I've also been told a 60/40 is better for the trails around the NW.

With our current estimated wheelbase, I'd have a wheelbase of ~112"-116" depending on where things fall.

Going with a 50/50 we are looking at the following lengths.We are shooting for a front and rear inverted 4-link.

Uppers 31.5"
Lowers 45"

so I have two questions:
1 - What would you consider too long of a length?
2 - How do you build your links front to rear length, a 50/50 or 60/40 or how ever they fall?

I beleive you want your uppers & lowers to be nearly the same length. This is to keep the axle from rotating (wrap) during travel.

This brings another question. I was told by some you wanted your upper/lowers to be equal length. And I've also been told you want the uppers to be ~ 70% of your lowers length.

i've read so many pages but I wish crash or jason c (ie someone local and well known) would publish a book. I'd rather take advice from a local builder who's rigs i've seen in action then some monkey with a keyboard and interent access spewing data on Pirate.

This brings another question. I was told by some you wanted your upper/lowers to be equal length. And I've also been told you want the uppers to be ~ 70% of your lowers length.

i've read so many pages but I wish crash or jason c (ie someone local and well known) would publish a book. I'd rather take advice from a local builder who's rigs i've seen in action then some monkey with a keyboard and interent access spewing data on Pirate.

This is a loaded question. What configuration. what angle are they running at rideheight? how much seperation at the axle? how much at the chassis? where are they in relation to axle tube center for upper and lower? also is it linked front and rear and what configuration in the front? how do your drive the rig? what is the rig for that matter? where is the center of gravity in relation to your push points of the suspension? there are way too many variables to just spit out a number. the lingth we use is specific to our chassis which is designed around the suspension... unless all the things are located the same it will not work proper. just copying it will not work right either. you have pics or a build thread?

And I've also been told you want the uppers to be ~ 70% of your lowers length.

this subject was on Extreem 4x4 2 weeks ago and the above statement is what they said...

This is a loaded question. What configuration. what angle are they running at rideheight? how much seperation at the axle? how much at the chassis? where are they in relation to axle tube center for upper and lower? also is it linked front and rear and what configuration in the front? how do your drive the rig? what is the rig for that matter? where is the center of gravity in relation to your push points of the suspension? there are way too many variables to just spit out a number. the lingth we use is specific to our chassis which is designed around the suspension... unless all the things are located the same it will not work proper. just copying it will not work right either. you have pics or a build thread?

Jason thanks for dropping in. No build thread yet. we are gathering all our materials at the moment, I was getting ready to order up my link material and thought I'd try to get close to the actaul need since its spendy to minimize the waste.

I was hoping there was a magical rule of thumb you guys followed up at S&N, like the 70% or equal length Uppers to Lowers, and the 60/40 or equal length front to rear lengths. I figured there would be fine tuning based on all the variable required durring the actaul build.

The rig will be a 'Nissan' truggy. Cab is a 84 King Cab 720, 305/th400/d300 on 1 tons, 42's and based around a 112"-116" WB. The front is planned to be a inverted 4 link as well.

again Jason your input is much apprecaitted and I understand there isn't a magical number or rule of thumb. I'll just order up what we have planned and go from there and report back with the results.

And I've also been told you want the uppers to be ~ 70% of your lowers length.

this subject was on Extreem 4x4 2 weeks ago and the above statement is what they said...

I saw that episode. It gave just enough information to be dangerous. :haha:

I think the 70% rule is a starting point to get you in the ballpark for a standard 4-link. The inverted 4-link is different.