• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Local place to rebuild winch motor....???????

Harvester of Sorrow

I need some sources local to rebuild my 8270/8274 upright winch motor...

I think it is fried...When I tried to spool in some cable this afternoon it would do the following:

1. Peg the volt gauge the wrong direction...Like dead short kind of peg.

2. Only operated at half the speed...

3. Got extremely hot burst spooling in about 12 feet of cable...

I am assuming the motor is not happy? Solenoids clicked in and out spooling just fine...

THoughts..?

You might try.....

National Auto Part's on Hwy. 99 in Edmonds, talk to Chuck they rebuild lot's of 12 volt electric motor's.:beer:

The Rebuilder in Kent can do it for you. Have a friend who had his done. The cost was about $75 less than getting a new 4.6hp motor. If it were mine I'd get the new motor.

thanks guys...

First I am going to take apart all the connections in the solenoid pack and to the THREE posts on the motor...

The motor does spool in and out...so it does "work"...

According to some searchin on Pirate...the solenoid packs and connections don't like the least bit of corrosion. So they suggested in some of the threads there to disassemble the connections and wire brush them clean. Then re-assemble with some di-electric grease...

So I am going to do that...

If no worky worky then I will look at rebuilding the motor...

Harvester of Sorrow said:
thanks guys...

First I am going to take apart all the connections in the solenoid pack and to the THREE posts on the motor...

The motor does spool in and out...so it does "work"...

According to some searchin on Pirate...the solenoid packs and connections don't like the least bit of corrosion. So they suggested in some of the threads there to disassemble the connections and wire brush them clean. Then re-assemble with some di-electric grease...

So I am going to do that...

If no worky worky then I will look at rebuilding the motor...

You could get a shop to test it before you go and have it rebuilt. That way you aren't getting it rebuilt for nothing.

I know Hip just had some bad luck getting his rebuilt at a place in Everett, he had two pulls on it before the motor failed. Just FYI.

Southend Auto Wrecking just south of Renton off hwy 167, the electrician there does an excellent job on rebuilds. He usually has some on the shelf already rebuilt ready to go. He also does a check prior to sale, he's been there for awhile now

GrandZJ said:
National Auto Part's on Hwy. 99 in Edmonds, talk to Chuck they rebuild lot's of 12 volt electric motor's.:beer:

second that. Chuck or pat.. pat does more of the rebuilds good guys up there.

HOS i actually bought a new motor then the next day found a perfectly good one in a dumpster so i have one if you are interested. send me a pm.