• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lock-Rite in a AMC 20..

YellowCJ

Has anyone had any issues with axles moving in-n-out eating bearings after installing a lock-rite in a 20 ??? (yea, yea, I know, I need to upgrade to D44's or something but this is what I got !!)

This has caused me the loss of a 36" TLS in less than 2 miles :puke:

Unless I'm mistaken (it's been a few years) I thought that the AMC 20 held the axles in place with the bearing and retaining plate AT THE END OF THE AXLE SHAFTS, BY THE WHEEL FLANGES. Which means that the carrier has no influence on the axles moving in and out.

edit - and how did you destroy the tire?

The axle shifted inward, causing the "NEW" tire I just had mounted rub up against the clamp on the sping wearing a grove in the sidewall down to the treads!!

Well the axle bearing should have prevented that axle from moving either inward or outward. You got problems elsewhere, and not in the carrier.

Factory AMC 20 open carriers have a cross pin that holds the spiders. That cross-pin prevents the axle shafts from moving inward. When you pulled the open carrier, you installed a locker WITHOUT a blocker in the center. This allowed the shafts to move inward and rub, causing your tire issues.

The tire issue is still a WHEEL BEARING failure though. Those bearings should be shimmed in such a manner that the axles can't move in. Your bearings are NOT correct.

Additional concerns

1) Do you have factory shafts / or aftermarket ? The factory shaft has a crush nut on the end that needs like 400 foot pounds to be properly tightened.

2) Your wheel backspacing is wrong. If the axle moving caused rubbing, then when you air down your tires to trail pressures, you've probably going to still have this problem. I'd seriously look at them wheels, and consider getting about an inch greater backspacing.

Tony

TreeClimber said:
....When you pulled the open carrier, you installed a locker WITHOUT a blocker in the center....
Tony
I just got home from the garage, and yes, during the install of the locker the "blocker" in the center of the carrier wasn't replace. I thought about it for a while and went down, disasembled it and replaced it and come home to read your post.

Why couldn't someone have told me this months ago, when I asked, and save me a hell of a headache ?? :mad: :mad:

Live and learn I guess, Thank you for taking your time to help me out.

Twystd

Update...
Got it all back together, ran it around the block and I'll damned, I think I blew the locker (sumofmabitch) so now after damn near a week doing what the Dr. said I shouldn't be doing I need to start all over and find out what the **** happened!! :mad: :wtf:

(pass that bottle of Seagram's, it might may the pain go away!)