• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

locker, spool, mini spool lets hear your opinions

SJR

Im setting up a ford 8.8 31 spline ooking at all options may go a spool or locker whats been your experiance? Im leaning towards the spool as its simple less parts , one question how do the axles lock into the spool as on the 8.8 theres a c clip?

]
moser-engineering-5S8833.jpeg

yep weld it.

if you do decide to do a full spool, and use a c-clip eliminator kit, be sure it uses tapered roller berrings, not ball berrings! ball berring kits are drag race only, they dont take side loads.

Spools both full and mini are a waste of money. Weld it right and you'll never have an issue. Use that money you were going to blow on a spool and buy something you actually need.

The spool is probably going to be lighter and definitely stronger than welded.

Weight isn't even a consideration. Toyota spools have a tendency to bend, welded diffs do not. If some hack welds the diff wrong then there can be warping etc but that's only if done wrong so just do it right and it'll last forever and not deflect/bend etc.

And if you want to split hairs the differential in question is a 8.8 not toyota 8" which in that case the spool will bend but a welded Carrier will take the gears out. Its not the spools fault but the inherent design of the toyota diff.

Did you really just say that?

Seriously did you just say that?

wow!??!

lol.... hell yha!:corn: its the internet, if some one posts thats its posable, then it must be!:corn:

truth be told tho, i knew a guy in ohio that " lead'ed " the diff on his drag car, 4 years of daily driving, street racing and weekend warrior duty and it was still working when i left ohio...

same guy had an old ford highboy with a "redneck HD" body lift... ie: 2 frames welded ontop of each other... gave clearance for rockwells and ag tires... :rolleyes:

amazing what ya see out there..

if it needed to be welded twice, it wasnt done right...
hell, if done properly, even just melting lead into the spider gears works...

Did you really just say that?

Seriously did you just say that?

wow!??!

lol.... hell yha!:corn: its the internet, if some one posts thats its posable, then it must be!:corn:

truth be told tho, i knew a guy in ohio that " lead'ed " the diff on his drag car, 4 years of daily driving, street racing and weekend warrior duty and it was still working when i left ohio...

Also learned of this trick from an 'ol hot-rodder...if done right, the lead WILL hold up to some serious abuse...Ran a Sami rear 3rd in my rig for almost 3yrs that the carrier/spiders were lead-filled (Yeah Brad, I just said that!:fawkdancesmiley::redneck:)...Put 33" Boggers on it and in 2 trips out I bent/twisted the rear housing between the perches.... I did it cause I didn't want to spend $ on a locker for the Sami rear...Held up to 33's no problem. After toasting the rear housing I did the yota swap...