• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

lockrite help!!

blakeski

Just installed a brandnew lockrite in a 410 diff...pushing 37 tires...I can pull up to drivers tire... drives right up....pull up on pass tire...racthets hard... but still spins just lots of noise.??? Anyone else have this problem?? Heard there is replacement springs?? Any help would be great thanks guys

Blakeski

if everything is brand new the only think i can think of is pins/springs installed incorrectly.

pics?? i have had my lockrite for a few years and never had any issues. thats why i say an error during installation. there really isnt much to go wrong though.

pics?? i have had my lockrite for a few years and never had any issues. thats why i say an error during installation. there really isnt much to go wrong though.

Wish I still had it pulled... sumone told me it was the hub...took it that apart...not a whole lot to go wrong there...brand new 30 splines... hell this thongs become a headache lol

sounds like thrust washers on passenger side are missing not allowing enough preload so the teeth are just grinding against each other instead of grabbing. I have installed my V6 Lock rights a couple times but they are different than the 4 cyl ones. I have also had mine fail but I installed new pins and springs and it was good as new.

When you had the 3rd out, did you pull the carrier out and check the carrier bearings for looseness??? I had this happen in my front end---driver's tire would pull fine, but forget the passenger side; pulled it down, and took the carrier apart, the carrier bearings fell off the carrier!!! This is allowing the carrier to 'walk around', not letting the teeth mesh true---

When you had the 3rd out, did you pull the carrier out and check the carrier bearings for looseness??? I had this happen in my front end---driver's tire would pull fine, but forget the passenger side; pulled it down, and took the carrier apart, the carrier bearings fell off the carrier!!! This is allowing the carrier to 'walk around', not letting the teeth mesh true---

no i didnt pull the carrier the things spins great no side to side, maybe i just have to pull the whole thing back apart and start over?? those bearings seemed ok but ya never know what happens in there...:rolleyes:

While its out stretch the springs a little bit.
Usually you gotta do that on old lockers but i think in this case you need to do it with the new one

or

Check out that hub. Stock hub gears will break! The solution is longfields hub gears.

Thats the only thing i can think of unless it was installed incorrectly.

Last edited:
Hi All:

I agree with "seafarinman," it seems like the preload setting is not within spec.

Sorry to hear what a hassle this has become! :booo:

Good luck!

Alan

-----------------------------------------------------------
sounds like thrust washers on passenger side are missing not allowing enough preload so the teeth are just grinding against each other instead of grabbing.

Did you use the little "Go- NoGo" gage that came with the lockrite? If the ratchet faces are too far apart, the springs will not have enough force to keep it from sliping.

maybe take it back apart and ture the locker around and see if it does in on the drivers side :masturbanana[1]:

I was having the same problem with my old locker I did a new spring kit on it an i was still having a problem. I figured maybe the teeth on the locker where to warn out so I decided to just buy a new one. But was still having the problem. Come to find out the spring in my hub was warn out an was causing the hub to slip an making that anoying sound. Id suggest checking the hub spring. I replaced just the front of the hub. Havent had a problem since.

Latest posts