• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Long day and night in Manastash...

Poohbair

Pabst O'Holic
So Brad and I just got home from YESTERDAYS wheelin' trip...

Left town about 9am... were on the trail about 10.30... wheelin was good, weather was great, times were good....

THEN we are making high mark towards Quartz, Brad winched up a hill...and I was winching up benind him, and I hear a CRUNCH and stop winching, and the Runner died.

Get out, and somehow a log had gotten between the passenger front tire, and the firewall, and was pushing the firewall in... I loosened the cable, rolled back a foot or so, and got the log out... no bubbles no troubles. Get back in... no fire. None. Nada... look down, and where the log pushed the firewall in, it is pushed in about 3", and that is right where my computer sits.

So after some doing, Brad got the computer out... yup... its broke. The board is broke. ****.

So Brad takes off toward Quartz because we were both thinking we were almost there and that would be the shortest way... turns out we were wrong. 6 or so hours later he made it thru.... looked around Manastash for someone with a computer we could borrow.. no dice... so he had to drive to town, steal one out of a buddies truck, drive back up, and then run the trail all the way in to me... he got there about 3am this morning. Installed new computer, fired right up... Got home around 6am.

Long day, im gonna go shower, have some coffee, and then get on with my day.. no point going to sleep now...

I have a few pics I will try to get motivated to post up later.

Thats why Saturdays are the best day to go wheeling. It gives you a buffer day to try and get home before work.

Pick-a-part next to the Oly airport sells PCM's for $35 a piece. A spare was the first thing I grabed when i did the 4.0 swap in my CJ7. In a perfect world I'll never have to use it but nice to know I have it just in case.

This was headin up...

06-12-2010.jpg

06-12-20101.jpg

06-12-20102.jpg

06-12-20104.jpg

06-12-20103.jpg

06-12-20106.jpg

06-12-20105.jpg

06-12-20107.jpg

And then this is where the truck landed after rolling her back about 20' to a "flat" spot...

06-12-201011.jpg

This is the log...

06-12-201020.jpg

This is where the computer was safely mounted...

06-12-20108.jpg

Ooopps..

06-12-20109.jpg

My attempted hillbilly repair after Brad left... I made it so it would START, but only for about 2 seconds... ****.

06-12-201022.jpg

So I found a flat spot about 30 yards from the truck with some dirt and made myself a fire with the help of some liquid boyscout.

06-12-201014.jpg

Turns out it takes a **** ton of little twigs to keep a fire going for 12 hours... all the decent size wood was soaked. What a pain in the ass... and of course, the 1 time I don't bring my saw... :rolleyes:

dug out a flat spot for my flower bucket seat to sit...

06-12-201012.jpg

Had a nice view while I was sitting there...

06-12-201015.jpg

Figured out the timer on my camera and took a pic of myself...

06-12-201017.jpg

Was wishing I had some beer to drink... so I found an empty can and sat and stared at it for a while...

06-12-201018.jpg

When it gets dark, it is dark as a sum bitch out there...

But then eventually the sunrise comes when we were on our way out...

06-12-201024.jpg

06-12-201026.jpg

And loaded on the trailer, following Brad down Manastash at about 5.45am

06-12-201027.jpg

man that really sucks but atleast you made the best of it and got yourself out! This is a good example of why you dont go wheelin by yourself:awesomework:

Better get some of my pics up here.

DSCN1846.jpg

DSCN1849.jpg

Got a little to close this squeezle hole.... very dangerous....

DSCN1856.jpg

DSCN1860.jpg

After spending near 10hours on the trail, most of which by myself, I was not happy to see this when i was starting my decent down quarts mtn. We were both tired and got to do more shoveling, i didnt want to slide off the mtn,

DSCN1861.jpg

DSCN1862.jpg

DSCN1864.jpg

DSCN1866.jpg

A bad day in the hills is better than a good day at work. The turn off at wells meadow would have saved you a bit of time and shoveling. That last drift on the top of Quartz stays there a looong time.

Last edited:
no emergency beer, what were you thinkin:redneck:
with that camo job you shoulda just hid it in the bushes...

no emergency beer, what were you thinkin:redneck:
with that camo job you shoulda just hid it in the bushes...

Well, with my kids being at in impressionable age.. and since they are usually with me... I don't typically drink on the trail. However, If I hand known ahead of time that I was going to have 12 hours of "spare" time, I would have brought some frosty cold beverages, and more ammo to entertain myself.

I forget which sight i found it on, but mounting the computer in the glove box is a simple way to keep it out of harms way:beer:

Latest posts