• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Looking to get into a TIG machine

Jduck said:
Yup for holding the torch, does nothing for the machine.

Thank you. I believe I will not use the machine enough to warrant needing that but it sounds like I can easily add it later if I want.

patooyee said:
Thank you. I believe I will not use the machine enough to warrant needing that but it sounds like I can easily add it later if I want.

Exactly, they are easy to add on later..at least for most of the larger amp machines. Just for reference I've got 1500 in my older synchrowave 250, its a transformer machine vs the newer inverter stuff. Very power hungry, lots of knobs and switches, air cooled torch ;) , fan is loud as **** when its running but that machine will be welding for many many years to come.

C795720D-E100-4268-A6B8-56D2BF37D3AC-4229-000006EF37DBE385.jpg

D6EEF118-CD05-49D7-B091-5603296F718B-15230-000010AD066B6580_zps55ecbd93.jpg

Jduck said:
Exactly, they are easy to add on later..at least for most of the larger amp machines. Just for reference I've got 1500 in my older synchrowave 250, its a transformer machine vs the newer inverter stuff. Very power hungry, lots of knobs and switches, air cooled torch ;) , fan is loud as **** when its running but that machine will be welding for many many years to come.

C795720D-E100-4268-A6B8-56D2BF37D3AC-4229-000006EF37DBE385.jpg

D6EEF118-CD05-49D7-B091-5603296F718B-15230-000010AD066B6580_zps55ecbd93.jpg

I'd love to find a machine like that for $1500 or less but it doesn't seem to be happening in my area. I've had a CL search alert going for damn year 3 years now and only 2 old synchrowaves have popped up in that time for $2800 ea. What am I doing wrong?

Plus, I know my 100-year-old shop wiring isn't going to accommodate a 100-amp breaker which means I've got to run new stuff, adding to the cost / time.

I found this one thru word of mouth, pretty much everyone who you know who welds ask them to keep an ear out. Ask at the local welding supply stores who local repairs them, theres a guy here near athens that does it and he'll get machines fix them up and sell for a very fair price. I've ran across a few on CL but never for a good/fair deal for a 15 year old machine. FWIW I run this one on a 50amp breaker, only popped it twice and that was welding some thicker stuff with it turned up higher than normal. I have an 100amp circuit for my plasma cutter that I will eventually move the tig over to as well but for now it works so well where its at its not worth moving everything around in the "shop" (2car garage).

patooyee said:
Plus, I know my 100-year-old shop wiring isn't going to accommodate a 100-amp breaker which means I've got to run new stuff, adding to the cost / time.

My Lincoln 175 uses a 50 amp, 220vac breaker. Me just doing piddly stuff, the torch has never gotten super hot. I can also change torches out to get one that is only one position or one that is flexible.

Yes, it would be very nice if I could run off my current 50-amp welder / plasma / compressor circuits.

A water cooled torch is much smaller than air cooled. Again if its not how you make a living don't worry about it. Start looking for a Lincoln precision tig. As much as I like Miller the older PT's are very simple to use and don't have all the bells and whistles like a Miller to confuse you. If your just starting off you don't need to worry about up/down slope, AC freq, blah blah blah. Where are you located? I would think you would be able to find a nice machine for $1800-2500 range.

Miller syncrowave is the way I would go. I have 2 200 at school and a 300 at my shop. The 200's are both air cooled and run several hrs a day with kids using them and they weld great to this day. Mine is water cooled just because I weld for several hrs sometimes on thick material. You don't need water cooled and not really needed on anything. Air is fine.

I also have the Lincoln precision tig and hate it. It is water cooled and will not weld anything like the Miller's in my shop. It overheats before you can weld a bung on a gas tank for an example. Yes it is a cheaper machine and works for most people, but I will never buy another one.

I would def get a 220 machine since your wanting to weld on some 1/4 stuff. With a 110 you would probably be ok on carbon steel but AL would give you fits with how much heat it takes to weld it. Also of you get into some 60 grade AL you will appreciate the extra juice.

What's the deal on engine driven welders? Seems like they're a dime a dozen around here when I would think that the cost of a gas engine + the welder should be higher than a welder alone?

depends on the make and model of the portable welder… some are caddilacs even though they are old.. most will serve as a great generator as well with 110v and 220v outlets on them.. I've wanted one for years to pull double duty just never had the coin to drop when a deal popped up

What about a synchrowave 350? Am I going to be able to power that on 220, at least up to the point that my breaker flips? I'm seeing many of those ...

patooyee said:
What about a synchrowave 350? Am I going to be able to power that on 220, at least up to the point that my breaker flips? I'm seeing many of those ...

Any input on this would be appreciated. There are actually a few 350's I'm looking at, one of which I could possibly jump on today. I know its more than I need but for some reason they seem to be plentiful and cheap, moreso than the 250's.

for anyone looking into this for personal use or shop use i would recomend getting on youtube and looking up weldingtipsandtricks. this guy is good and very informative. he is also very easy to learn from,and he gives good info on different types of welding machines. now for my personal opinion,its miller all the way.

I've been watching weldingtipsandtricks.com's videos since long before I cared about a TIG welder. You're right, he is awesome. I guess he makes more fabbing and welding than he would being a teacher, but he could very easily be a welding instructor. thumb.gif

Re: Re: Re: Looking to get into a TIG machine

patooyee said:
I've been watching weldingtipsandtricks.com's videos since long before I cared about a TIG welder. You're right, he is awesome. I guess he makes more fabbing and welding than he would being a teacher, but he could very easily be a welding instructor. thumb.gif
You nailed it as instructor, his name is Jodi, and he actually was the welding instructor for Delta Airlines for a while, he left us a year or 2 ago, talk about someone that can weld anything, with any type welder and make it look easy, it would be him. A good bit of those videos were actually shot at Delta. He also has a forum.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Pics of the one I'm about to go get in about 2 hours here. If anyone has any advice I would sure appreciate it. Price is $1700 and comes with foot pedal, water cooled torch, bunch of rods. Water cooler doesn't work but I figure I can rig something up for that. He says it is in perfect working condition and I will be able to test it before loading it. It was used for a NASCAR and boat racing team its entire life by one user, 1990 model.

00909_cFgsL5qkEag_600x450.jpg

01717_gAiTFCoWli4_600x450.jpg

00U0U_aXbWl0A34Vz_600x450.jpg

00S0S_9DGMO8ssjKV_600x450.jpg

00y0y_a7yD5KfsFQu_600x450.jpg

I realize its more than I'll ever need and that I won't be able to fully power it with my current electrical setup. But I should be able to power it enough to do what I want for now and I doubt I'll ever be limited by the machine.

i was looking at one similar but only a syncro 300. basicaly the same exept the watercooler worked for 2000 so you are probably right on spot at 1700. the great thing is if you get it and realize you dont need that big of one or it isnt exactly what you want you could resale easily. and for what its worth id fix the water cooler and use it. the welder i have now doesnt have one and uses gas to cool the torch so needless to say i go through roughly 2 times the gas a comparable water cooled machine would.

I'm pretty handy with hydraulic stuff so I figure if I have the water cooler parts I can come up with a pump.