• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Loose front track bar on TJ

Mean Green

Duh, which way do I go, George?
This has been a recurring issue for me almost from day one. The track bar comes loose in the track bar mount on the front axle. Then I go into a hellish death wobble. Does any one know of a permenant fix that does not require a huge rework of the front axle brackets?

Currently I am running a heavy duty RE track bar.

Put a couple tack welds on the nut/bolt for the track bar, if that's what's coming loose. I had this problem on my XJ with the RE track bar as well... also, if the trackbar mount on the frame side bolts on, put some loc-tite on the bolts/nuts, and throw a few welds on the mount itself to keep the stress from loosening/stretching the bolts.

This is really the only way to keep it from coming loose...

Try a Nylock Nut, or is it coming apart some other way?

Oh, and your quote by Ben Franklin should be "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Probably the most misquoted phrase by him :;

Oh, and your quote by Ben Franklin should be "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Probably the most misquoted phrase by him :;

Yea, I know it is...:D

It is only the lower mount that is giving me trouble.

I had not thought about a self locking nut, but I have tried red locktite and that helped some, but the bolt still loosened enough to allow the track bar to move back and forth.

I did think about tighting the bolt and then tacking it to the mount. If I only have the bolt tacked will it still hold, since it wouold be almost impossible to tack the nut to the mount?

Yeah, try a nylock nut with some washers on both sides.

And upgrade that bushing at the axle end to poly. RE Bushings suck the big fat donkey schlong.

Most of the aftermarket track bars use a metal sleeve inside the bushing that has a flat surface. What is actually happening is it is starting to move and wearing on the mount and the bushing. Thus becoming loose. NOT the bolt backing off.

Take the bar out and grind little teeth in the bushing on both sides. Or, use a hacksaw to make little teeth. (very shallow is all you need)
then reinstall and crank it tight. I am talking wrench on the end on another wrench type action. Or if a socket can get on it, a breaker bar about as tight as you can get it.

That should solve your problem.

Most of the aftermarket track bars use a metal sleeve inside the bushing that has a flat surface. What is actually happening is it is starting to move and wearing on the mount and the bushing. Thus becoming loose. NOT the bolt backing off.

Take the bar out and grind little teeth in the bushing on both sides. Or, use a hacksaw to make little teeth. (very shallow is all you need)
then reinstall and crank it tight. I am talking wrench on the end on another wrench type action. Or if a socket can get on it, a breaker bar about as tight as you can get it.

That should solve your problem.

I'll try that thanks. I actually tried something similar on the bolt. I installed a star washer between the bolt and the mount, that worked for quite awhile. Didn't think of doing something simlar to the bushing sleeve its self.