• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Low budget YJ build

So the wagoneer springs did not ride as well as I had read. I decided to remove two leafs (5 remaining). It rides way better now. I imagine my Jeep is just much lighter than most. No rear seat, no spare tire rack, factory cage, etc. it lowered it about an inch which I'm not mad about. Definitely feels more stable than my last rig that was linked on 40's.

removing the factory rubber bushings was hell. The big end bushings came out on an arbor no problem. The small ends were way tighter. Patience with the hack saw made the last one a breeze though. Learn as you go I guess. Replaced with poly. And swapped the leafs out in my driveway in the rain haha garage has a boat and broken pickup so no room.

overall I'm happy for now. Have to tell myself to be patient with wanting to throw the book at this thing with links and big tires. It is fun to see the improvements after a day of work.

Attachments

• EF044094-64FC-42D1-B94F-65D20D116444.jpeg
    EF044094-64FC-42D1-B94F-65D20D116444.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 185
  • EE6B7995-73D1-45E5-BBCA-A1EA1D8EB427.jpeg
    EE6B7995-73D1-45E5-BBCA-A1EA1D8EB427.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 174
  • C8DFFF85-F040-432E-A5D8-79807503C60A.jpeg
    C8DFFF85-F040-432E-A5D8-79807503C60A.jpeg
    449.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 051B4A49-340B-4B55-8505-8317FC77623E.jpeg
    051B4A49-340B-4B55-8505-8317FC77623E.jpeg
    385.5 KB · Views: 194
As for the jackstands on ramps that was poked at last time, I actually bought some big 6 ton stands, but my axle less Cummins is hoarding them haha no worries as I wasn't really under the Jeep.

Don't think I ever mentioned this, but a while back we were cruising to swimming holes about 2 hours from home and I smelled fuel BAD. Pulled over quickly and shut it off. Fuel was spraying on the exhaust from a pinhole in the hose on top of the tank. Man did it scare me. Woman and the dogs were in there with me. Got very lucky to break down in front of a farmers home and the guy loaned me a few wrenches. Lowered the tank and the skid splayed out. Luckily farmers are crafty and he used the forks on his tractor to push it in and help get it bolted back up. Was not a fun job on the side of the road but another learning experience haha.

Well I finally bought a Genright tank. Found one for real cheap in Trussville with the aluminum skid option. Gen1 Comp tank like one for sale on this forum. Got home only to realize it does not work with stock shackle location. Big bummer. Posted it for sale and got my money back the next day tho.

turns out my wagoneer springs do not ride bad, but my diff cover and tank are abruptly stopping the suspension when they meet. I'm going to try one of the Motobilt tanks if I don't find something used.

Attachments

• E3B4906A-E06A-4A21-B063-E6F85AE70F9B.png
    E3B4906A-E06A-4A21-B063-E6F85AE70F9B.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 179
I've seen a few guys use a little heat to gently deform the stock tank enough to clear the diff cover before. Seems like a pretty inexpensive way to do it. Just try not to blow yourself up in the process

Yea I've thought of doing that. Cutting the skid and welding some clearance into it. I paid $500 for the Genright so I figured it was a decent deal compared to my time modifying one and still having to buy an aftermarket skid as mine is the thin factory unit.

hopefully I can spend some real time working on it soon. Pickup truck has been priority lately.

I really like this unit. Simple, reliable and I bet it's a lot of fun !
I need to send you a PM about the beach permit. Got a few questions.

Thanks. Out of 8 or so wranglers that were all much nicer this is somehow my favorite haha. Once my truck is going and I can really bash on it I will have a ton of fun I'm sure.

feel free to ask away on the permit. Beach driving is a hoot. Where I go at least. Pretty secluded.

Yea I've thought of doing that. Cutting the skid and welding some clearance into it. I paid $500 for the Genright so I figured it was a decent deal compared to my time modifying one and still having to buy an aftermarket skid as mine is the thin factory unit.

hopefully I can spend some real time working on it soon. Pickup truck has been priority lately.
Yeah, 500 aint terrible if it works. I find myself in the same boat sometimes. Easier to buy something prebuilt than to find the time to do it myself. Currently going through that with the swaybar on the wife's yj. Had all kinds of ideas to save money and basically build everything but the bar itself, just to realize that I'll have enough time wrapped up in just installing a "kit", let alone having to design and build it all too.

It is a struggle. I enjoy doing it myself and I definitely enjoy saving the money. Have to pick the battles wisely. I've got enough projects already to last me 3 lifetimes haha

Well I got off work early and decided to move my tank into the back of the cab. The 8.8 diff cover was looking thin. Took about 4 beers/1 hour. Ain't happy about it being back there but I had to do something. I was kind of stressing with this being my ride to work haha. Should buy me some time until I get a proper setup.

while I was at it my best friend calls and says his ole lady kicked him out the house and he's loading his ****. Im trying to get him to delay so we can hit this ride, but if he decides to take the wiser route I guess I'm going to miss out and have to help him move. Dammit man.

I did it in the driveway once again. Ole raggedy dodge and a boat taking up the whole garage.

Attachments

• DF1AD963-13FD-4356-907C-C2C5DA4E8AB9.jpeg
    DF1AD963-13FD-4356-907C-C2C5DA4E8AB9.jpeg
    339.8 KB · Views: 148
Just pack what he needs for the weekend, she'll take care of the rest while y'all are wheelin.
He can worry about that next week.
We got a good laugh out of that. He told me to carry-on and go ride but about halfway to Hale I couldn't do it so I turned around.

hope you guys have a blast out there I'll catch you next time.

Latest posts