• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ls-1 guru`s = HELP ME

Check the fuel pressure. I have had a couple motor do this and it was because of fuel pressure. Which in my case was dirty filter. I bet you got trash in the reg.

Toddy

draggbody said:
if it shocked you then the current is flowing on the outside of the wire... put some plug wires on it and i'll bet that will take care of it...

nah, i had a screwdriver stick in the plug wire because i was checkin coil packs for spark .i grounded my arm out on the cage... Lessons learned cuz they will flat knock yur **** in the dirt. :woody:

Toddy said:
Check the fuel pressure. I have had a couple motor do this and it was because of fuel pressure. Which in my case was dirty filter. I bet you got trash in the reg.

Toddy
can sombody flip up a pic of the regulator? it is on the fuel rail correct?

Toddy said:

Toddy
That is the reson that I started running a fuel pressure gage all the time. I find that it make life easier when **** goes south.

InDaShop said:
driveside of engine. Where the fuel lines plug into the send and return. The send should do a "J" turn down into the regulator. Its round looks like a little gold or chrome mushroom.

The chrome mushroom thing on the fuel rail that your talking about is actually a fuel pressure pulse dampner. The LS1 engines fuel pressure regulator is in the factory fuel pump in the tank of the car. It's a little brass piece on the side of the pump.
Intake.jpg

The ideal thing (my opinion) is to use a good pump (Walbro, Racetronix, etc. not a Autozone pump) and install a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on the end of the shrader valve at the fuel rail. You need the 60 psi of pressure or you'll have lean spikes while the engine is running.

The thought of changing the plugs and wires is a good one also. I had a bad wire on my Vette that caused it to miss from time to time.

I am no ls guru but i do work at the local chevrolet dealer. we see a ton of of vacuum leaks around the intake gasket. just grab a can of carburetor cleaner with the engine running spray the gasket and the engine will start to missfire more at the leak. if this does not work let me know if i can help

dmartin said:
I am no ls guru but i do work at the local chevrolet dealer. we see a ton of of vacuum leaks around the intake gasket. just grab a can of carburetor cleaner with the engine running spray the gasket and the engine will start to missfire more at the leak. if this does not work let me know if i can help

I have seen that alot too. In fact I think my 6.0 is leaking somewhere, because my idle is a bit high, but it comes and goes. I had this problem a while back and the IAC and TPS were bad, and replaced them, and it fixed it for a few months, now the idle is back to jumping around, but I cannot find a leak. These motors or any others can be annoying tracking **** down.

Have you looked any into the computer itself? Maybe something as simple as disconnecting the power for 15 minutes and letting it reset it to factory specs. :dunno:

I carry several plug wires with me in my tool bag....I've replaced them more than a couple of times. They start to arc outside the boot, grounding into the headr and causing a miss. This has happened several times over the past few years. Put a set of ignition wires on it or at least try some, it's cheap and easy.

I have also seen a distributor gear get worn in an irregular way, and cause a skip. The guy took it to Autozone and had it scanned, #3, 5, 7 all missfires. Then he left there and headed to our shop. Half way to the shop motor shut down had it towed in. Took me some trouble shooting but finally pulled the disti and saw the damage. Stripped out! Strangest friggen thing I have seen in some time. Just a thought. ;)

bad80cj said:
I have also seen a distributor gear get worn in an irregular way, and cause a skip. The guy took it to Autozone and had it scanned, #3, 5, 7 all missfires. Then he left there and headed to our shop. Half way to the shop motor shut down had it towed in. Took me some trouble shooting but finally pulled the disti and saw the damage. Stripped out! Strangest friggen thing I have seen in some time. Just a thought. ;)

Uhhh... :dunno:

I didn't even think before posting! my bad! I need to step away from the Natty light and pain pills for the night! :drinkers:

Just a thought...does the motor make any kind of unusual noises? You might have a few bent pushrods, not allowing the valves to open all the way. Like I said its highly unlikely thats it, but something to check if you get bored. Also a collapsed lifter can cause a misfire too.

Latest posts