• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LS Engine Tuning in Bham Area?

Yeah everyone seems to think it is the stall. It idles fine but under a load it just chokes. If I give it a little gas before the shift it is ok, or if I shift fast it is ok. A slow shift kills it everytime. Lane said the stall needs to be loosened up some and recommended something around 2500. Mine is stock TH400 and old as who knows what. I was very impressed with the tune and response of the motor. I ran it today and it freaking moves in high range

Matt O. said:
my Pemberton PVC delete did not like the pulls and kept spitting the dipstick.

I've suspected that would be a protential problem at prolonged WOT. Building more pressure than the naturally aspirated venting can keep up with.

You have two options.
1. Go to much larger lines and vent size....
2. Or take your vent line that comes OFF the catchcan, and route it back to the intake to "pull vaccuum".

With #2 you are still going to have a direct connect for oil to get into your intake and potentially hydrolock your motor if you roll. It really will depend on your catchcan, the line routing, and if you try to drive out of the non-rubber side down situation. As the longer the motor runs the vacuum will start sucking oil through the catchcan like a fat kid with a milkshake.

Y'all know I had trouble keeping the shiny side up, so not going back to vacuum made sense to me. As I would usually stay in it, and half the time drive out of the roll.

I run the same catchcan you do and it is mounted on the passenger side. Drivers side pcv line runs to passenger side pcv into a T and then to the catchcan. Also need a locking dipstick of some sort because it keeps coming out a little bit and spilling oil. Don't really want to pay the money for a lokar one so need to come up with a cheap solution there.

Matt O. said:
Also I saw onetoncrawler and his new set of tires on the way up 65, that ****er drives fast ;D

Here are my numbers. He said he could probably get a little more out of it, but for reliability and my application it is probably not needed and not very useable power. The dyno pulls were fun, 3rd gear get it to 2k rpm's then mat it nad hope it didn't break the straps and come flying off the dyno! I need to figure out how to ventilate the crankcase a little better, my Pemberton PVC delete did not like the pulls and kept spitting the dipstick. If anybody has any ideas on my stalling issue going into gears I am all ears. We made it a little better, but it is still there.....
call 256-810-7757... This is Ed Bendall... He's the best trans guy that i know... He'll tell you whats up.

grcthird said:
I don't know where he moved his shop to, but Blake Walker in Trussville could probably do it on the dyno. I know several people who have used him and had good results, not with buggies though. I'll try to get you his contact info.
Blake does have the dyno but Scott Culbert aka Gomer does all the tuning there. Lane Calvert is good as well but I would still recommend Scott Culbert. If you call Blake Walker he will put you in touch with Scott.

we were in a hurry Fri for sure, had to mount tires onto beadlocks, install new intake hose setup, put on new brake caliper, put toolbox back into the truck and visit my Grandad before he went back home

thanks for posting the number you got him @. i will give them a call again tomorrow and see if i can get my junk straightened out. your buggy looks sweet !

Thanks man, I have put a lot of work into it this year, hopefully it pays off at KOH.

Also I would suggest if you want to build an LS motor to give lane a call about performance ideas. He understands our sport and is an engine builder that specializes in LS motors. He can steer you in the right direction then tune it to maximize power

What all is done to your motor to get this much horsepower and what if anything did he recommend to do different?

Ptc builds all of our trans for our race applications and they hold up nice. As for the dipstick take rubber hose and two hose clamps and u have a cheap clamp on the dipstick holder.

Wonder what the difference is in the 500 horse Ls motors everyone says is so easy to get and yours, I haven't started messing with these motors yet still been using the old blocks, wanting one for my new rockwell buggie though

Does anyone around Gdale area have a scan tool I can borrow? Think I found a fix for my stalling issue but I need a scan tool to make it happen. Thanks in advance

Glad you got it worked out Matt. I'd be careful running that stock converter. I've got a bit more power than you (480hp) but not by much and I ripped mine to shreds. Then all the shrapnel went downstream and took out my tranny internals. Cost me a built 400. I ended up going with a billet converter built specifically for LS motors. It's the same unit EZ Rick is running on his KOH rig. It set me back 500 bones but I think well worth the money.

http://www.tcsperformance.com/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11398344&postcount=159

redneckengineered said:
Glad you got it worked out Matt. I'd be careful running that stock converter. I've got a bit more power than you (480hp) but not by much and I ripped mine to shreds. Then all the shrapnel went downstream and took out my tranny internals. Cost me a built 400. I ended up going with a billet converter built specifically for LS motors. It's the same unit EZ Rick is running on his KOH rig. It set me back 500 bones but I think well worth the money.

http://www.tcsperformance.com/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11398344&postcount=159
Same convertor I bought, but they charged me $600 :dunno:

So anybody with a scan tool I can borrow? It would be much appreciated as I don't have one and have spent a ton of money on this thing lately. Looking at a converter also, but it will be after Christmas before I can put it in.

Matt O. said:
So anybody with a scan tool I can borrow? It would be much appreciated as I don't have one and have spent a ton of money on this thing lately. Looking at a converter also, but it will be after Christmas before I can put it in.

ive got one and will be @ RBD this sat if that helps...