• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Machinist work? Good for future?

Toddy said:
Thought it might have been Fillauer. I know most of there business is based in Chattanooga now. Used to hang out with them when they lived in Knoxville.

I used to go to USA Prosthetics in Chatty, but moved to Fourroux when USA's service became subpar.

IF you can run manual machines, program g code by hand, and know some kind of CAD/CAM software you will can name your price.

Re: Re: Machinist work? Good for future?

Kraig75 said:
IF you can run manual machines, program g code by hand, and know some kind of CAD/CAM software you will can name your price.
I need to come where you are, I can do all of this but haven't been able to name my price yet lol

I've been into machining since I was 15, I'll be 27 this year. Personally it pays decent but I'd like to get more like everyone, I'm making $17 hourly on second shift running a mix of cnc and conventional mills. Been with this company 4 years total but only back for 2 since I was laid off in 09. I've done work in an engine machine shop which is where I got my start in high school, a clutch and brake manufacturer and currently aerospace.

I love running the machine I do as it's one off built, 100 foot bed gantry machine with 7 axis and 2 horizontal one vertical spindle. Taking off an inch wide x.6-.800 during rough cuts is nothing for it and I'm one of 5 people total who can completely set it up and run it. It's paying off for me to learn oddball skills like that and I am set up for a $3.00+ raise beginning of next year.

Top out pay is $35 hr where I currently am and I've saw from $12-$20 starting wages as average, I have experience on cnc mills/lathes, conventional mills/lathes, Bridgeport detail work, surface grinders, boring machines and can do basic programming on my own with an understanding of g codes. I can make a lot more than I do but look at doubling my 40 min commute and it's just not worth it.

Re:

I have made a nice living as a Machinist, yes it does take time and experience to get the dollar sign up, but once you are there you are good to go. Job security is awesome.

Good article. I have always liked Jay Leno. He called my buddy one time, interested in an old Packard he had for sale. It was pretty cool to hear old jay leave a voicemail. He's just a regular guy