• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Made in Canada

Ni4x4

I finally got around to starting my buggy.

Specs

118" wheel base
Ford 4.0 V6 with a cam and head work, intake, 66mm TB and MAF and a couple other things to make it a little gooder.
C5 tranny, 1354 doubler and Dana 300
AMC 20 rear with axles and detroit. (Recycling it from my old Bronco 2, hasn't broken yet, keeping it till it does)
Dana 44 front, alloy axles, detroit tru trac LSD (same reasoning as above)
both 4.10's
XJ front coils, rear are rubicon front coils. 2.5" 13" travel shocks in front and 8" travel shocks on a cantilever in the rear for 18" of travel
triangulated 4 link front and rear and hydro steer.

My goal is to be done for May 20, as its a long weekend in Canada and a bunch are going on a wheeling / camping trip that I wanna go on.

Sam

Ive been ironing some bugs outta this thing for a couple weeks now and I am pretty happy with it.

Im excited for spring, there aren't a lot of available trails up here in the winter with all of the snowmobile federation trails.

sorry about the crappy quality of the videos, my phone doesn't seem to like videoing in the cold. I don't have the skid plate on yet so I am reluctant in some of the videos and asking him what is under the snow.

down the snowy hill
up the stairs
down the stairs
rock crawling in snow
rock crawling in the snow 2
testing in the snow

DAMMIT man I freakin LOVE the cage design/style on this mochine, HELLUVA good job :dblthumb:

Hows that cantilever rear setup workin out, :dunno:, looks functional enough from computer screen,

I also like seein them aerostar type progressive rate coils gettin used up front :dblthumb:

;D

The front springs are stock XJ. they are really good so far, dont unload really hard like the ribicon ones i had at first.

The cantilever is working well also, Im getting 18" travel from an 8" shock. I was concerned there wouldnt be enough dampening but even at 55ish mph lots of control.

I went out to play in the snow yesterday at one of our more technical trails yesterday.

I only went to climb the hill at the north end of the trail. It is 1/2 comparable to cable hill, but apparently 10 times worse in 2-3' of snow.

blueberry hill in the snow

blueberry hill in the snow2

blueberry hill in the snow4

blueberry hill in the snow5

blueberry hill in the snow6

blueberry hill in the snow7

blueberry hill in the snow9

blueberry hill in the snow10

blueberry hill in the snow11

I was picking the hill apart till my tranny overheated and puked fluid out of the dipstick tube onto the header and cought on fire. Luckily there was no damage, let it cool and it started up and drove outta the bush under its own power. Im gonna look over all of the wiring, need to change the air filter and do a tranny flush while I get some $ together for a nother rebuild on it and keep driving it till it don't move no more.

Sam

I posted the above vids today but it didn't bump up, still said feb 7 was last post ???

Dump the skinny boggers and get some tires to really wheel in the snow. Where you located? we got burned by mother nature this year, no snow :mad:

Im in northern ontario, canada.

it took a while for the snow to get here, not as much as in past years but enough to give me a hard time.

I didn't get any video but a buddy on wide Irocs tried and barely made it outta the creek at the bottom.

I'm going to try it again when it warms up a little and the snow is sticky/packy. I couldn't hook at all or build up any speed, it would just spin, sink and run through the gears.

My cousin gave me these 44" gumbo monster mudders last fall so I recently got some used beadlocks for them, cut them up and put them on my buggy.

When I put the gears in the rear end I noticed the splines on the shafts were twisted a fair bit and was a matter of time till they let go. Although I was really apprehensive to put the 44's on it I did anyway and broke a rear axle on the first hill. ::)

I knew it wasn't going to last so I have a 9" to replace it with some spare OEM 31 spline shafts. It has a factory LSD in it so Im gonna run it like that for now to try and save shafts till I get some more cash together for a 40 spline FF build up on it.

With all of that I am finding myself looking for harder obsticals with this than my prviouse ride (Bronco II) and am doing a lot more bouncing than crawling that I did with my bronco.

Will a spooled 40 splined FF 9" hold up to these 40" tall 44's?
I am gonna build a fabricated 35 spline Detroit locked 9" front with 35 spline 60 outters and a stock center section for the front also and would like some oppinions on this combo before I spend all sorts of $ on them.

for a little back ground, I have been wheeling my 38.5x11" boggers with 5lbs on a dana 44 with a trutrac and amc 20 with a detroit for 6 years and although the rear shafts were fatigued never broke either till the 44 x 18" cut gumbo's and built 9" are a far step up from those diffs........

Sam

Latest posts