• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

manual tranny bouncer?

al1tonyota

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2009
Messages
2,999
Location
Tuscaloosa, AL
Cotton12v said:
I have thought that a t5 setup with clutchless shifting would be pretty fun to drive In a buggy
T5's are weak and won't hold up to an inline 6 ,jeep ran those in the Cj 7

Gittinit said:
I would think it would be easier. Rarely do even the racers land under power and often when they do something let's g . With a manual u could land with clutch petal mashed. And as far as 3 footing there are tricks around that to. Hand throttles, raised idle, u can even do shifter mounted throttle with detents to change to spefic ROMs.


thanks ill do some research on the nv 4500. I think this is a truck trans? A short shifter throw would be ideal I would think... Most truck trans have a long throw to the shifter.
You must not go to many races or watch videos competitive bouncers land in the throttle all the time! I would hate to have to land with my foot on the clutch if you think you could hold your foot off the clutch or lined up with the pedal that makes it seem like you have never gone fast offroad! It's hard enough to keep your foot on the gas sometimes and you have the trans tunnel to rest your foot against to keep it lined up!
 

patooyee

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
5,692
al1tonyota said:
bouncers land in the throttle all the time! I would hate to have to land with my foot on the clutch if you think you could hold your foot off the clutch or lined up with the pedal that makes it seem like you have never gone fast offroad! It's hard enough to keep your foot on the gas sometimes and you have the trans tunnel to rest your foot against to keep it lined up!

Agree here^^^^^
 

mikemounlio

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2014
Messages
176
302, np435, and np205 here. Motor has heads that have been ported, and a basic cam. Tranny is mostly stock but with a bronco bang shifter. The TC has a twin stick on it. I am no pro but im not bad with it. My only real problem is lack of good steering. Sometimes it gets in my way and i will have to take another try.

I am no bouncer tho!

I love me some clutch dumps.
 

Gittinit

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2013
Messages
135
Location
north east arkansas
patooyee said:
OK, then the answer to your question is no one is doing it and everyone who tried switched. They're probably all wrong though, give it a whirl! Report back with results. :)

I will say that, as good as draggbody was with his manual, whenever we raced he would lose me on his shifts even though he had a more powerful engine. I don't think any human can shift good enough to keep up with an auto on the shifts given all other things being equal. With my manual valve body I can get from one gear to the next faster than any human can push a clutch pedal much less shift and let off it. I would imagine that would be a disadvantage in any timed race where you needed more than one gear.

What was I thinking... Being different is bad.... Let's chastise anyone who don't conform. ::) If there was only one way to build these things wouldnt that be boring.

Y'all are right. I've never gone fast off road and have been to only a few bouncing events. I've not seen any land under throttle from being airborne, after pulling the front yes but not on a landing. Guess I'm not watching the right videos... I'm new to all this hardcore stuff and hoped for more than just one to give real feedback I suppose kinder and gentler doesn't mean open to out of the box ideas.

Thanks for reading anywayand helping me learn. Hope ya don't stay negative all holiday weekend. Happy memorial day.
 

kushKrawlin

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2013
Messages
4,760
Location
in tha garage blowing smoke...
The answer is.. Because piper would do it if he ever gets a V8.. Just watch him and do The opposite of what he does. Should be good to go. Ha.
Seriously I watch in pain as a buddy of mine has a Man trans. I actually feel really bad for him.. And a bouncer doesn't have to compete ole boy, I saw a man/legend last weekend at Stoney, name was "paw paw" , maybe in his 60's and I swear to God that man is 150-% rock bouncer.. I'm not kiddin. I honestly think he's a real bouncer.. Most do it when the ole famous "break Ur ****" camera comes out.. Paw paw was Prob bouncing that badass jeep/buggy built by angry fab today, with no cameras.. 44's on the rev limiter with God knows how many horse power.. Yep, he's a "bouncer" for sho. Man would suck ass. Unless u start off in 5 gear. But then Ya ain't bouncin' :dunno:
 

Gittinit

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2013
Messages
135
Location
north east arkansas
I agree u don't have to compete to be a bouncer. Anyone can bounce. Seems like the cameras that follow the races steps things up though. Seen some cool stuff over the years that would make the racers cringe, some before the term bouncer was a thing. I should have found a different way to title this thread.


What I was really wanting to know is if there is a manual transmission out there that is comparable to a rmvb 400 in strength and able to be shifted fast. Seems the answer to the question I didn't ask is ,don't ask questions.
 

TBItoy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2010
Messages
10,685
Location
Dodson Branch, TN
Gittinit said:
I agree u don't have to compete to be a bouncer. Anyone can bounce. Seems like the cameras that follow the races steps things up though. Seen some cool stuff over the years that would make the racers cringe, some before the term bouncer was a thing. I should have found a different way to title this thread.


What I was really wanting to know is if there is a manual transmission out there that is comparable to a rmvb 400 in strength and able to be shifted fast. Seems the answer to the question I didn't ask is ,don't ask questions.

Who gives a **** what it's called.

http://rsgear.com/products/transmissions/tranzilla.aspx

They offer (or offered) a 4wd adapted version of their built t56. Probably the best thing out there for what you are asking.

Or get an m22 4spd and run a divorced case or buy the advance adapters kit to put a d300 behind it.


Those are your only 2 options for big/strong car style manual transmissions.


Unless you went with a drag racing type trans like a lenco.
 

patooyee

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
5,692
Gittinit said:
What was I thinking... Being different is bad.... Let's chastise anyone who don't conform. ::) If there was only one way to build these things wouldnt that be boring.

Y'all are right. I've never gone fast off road and have been to only a few bouncing events. I've not seen any land under throttle from being airborne, after pulling the front yes but not on a landing. Guess I'm not watching the right videos... I'm new to all this hardcore stuff and hoped for more than just one to give real feedback I suppose kinder and gentler doesn't mean open to out of the box ideas.

Thanks for reading anywayand helping me learn. Hope ya don't stay negative all holiday weekend. Happy memorial day.

Where was I chastising you or even being negative?

NOW I'M [chastising] I think what is really happening here is that you thought you you were going to blow some minds with your totally unique idea of using a manual transmission but instead you got a bunch of guys with actual experience telling you truthful answers that you didn't want to hear. So now you have sand in your vagina and are sitting at home drying your tears with extra-aloe Kleenex-brand ultra-plush pink tissues thinking about how we are all just a big bunch of meanies.

Don't tell me about being different. Ask anyone, I'm probably one of the most snickered-at people here for my quirkiness. When I think I have a good, different idea I spend money to develop it, build it, test it, report the results good or bad, and even market it if I feel it worked well. (www.patparts.com) I have probably $15,000 worth of ideas that I tried on my current buggy that didn't work and went straight into the trash and another $15,000 worth of business ventures / prototypes that haven't panned out outside of the 4x4 world. If you think we're all wrong put your money where your mouth is, build it and report back. Don't sit on the internet complaining like a bitch. [/chastising]

Your choices for manual transmissions are limited because they are in low demand. They are in low demand because very few want them. Very few want them for logical reasons. We are telling you those reasons.

And just for the record, my tow rig has an NV5600 6-speed manual. I just got done putting a $1000 clutch in it. I sold a newer, nicer truck with an auto just to get the manual. I could have bought an equally nice, new truck with a 6-speed manual G56 but I believe the NV5600 is a better transmission. So you're not talking to someone who does not appreciate the merits of a good manual transmission.
 

1tfrot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2014
Messages
925
Location
chi-town
Gittinit said:
I agree u don't have to compete to be a bouncer. Anyone can bounce. Seems like the cameras that follow the races steps things up though. Seen some cool stuff over the years that would make the racers cringe, some before the term bouncer was a thing. I should have found a different way to title this thread.


What I was really wanting to know is if there is a manual transmission out there that is comparable to a rmvb 400 in strength and able to be shifted fast. Seems the answer to the question I didn't ask is ,don't ask questions.

what you're probably missing is that folks are trying to help you save money, time, aggravation, etc..... it just doesn't seems that way.

do what you want, but most of the info is in this thread for ya. :smoke:
 

al1tonyota

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2009
Messages
2,999
Location
Tuscaloosa, AL
Don't ask questions if you are gonna whine about the answers you get! There is no reason to lie and experience is worth more than any planning you can do! There is a guy from Michigan that has a bouncer with manual trans in it his name is Erin and the buggy is called the jiggiler I think that's how it's spelled? Yea you can put one in there, I really hope you do! :flipper:
 

1tfrot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2014
Messages
925
Location
chi-town
al1tonyota said:
Don't ask questions if you are gonna whine about the answers you get! There is no reason to lie and experience is worth more than any planning you can do! There is a guy from Michigan that has a bouncer with manual trans in it his name is Erin and the buggy is called the jiggiler I think that's how it's spelled? Yea you can put one in there, I really hope you do! :flipper:

could've sworn Erins buggy had an auto in it last year when we wheeled together. ???
 

al1tonyota

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2009
Messages
2,999
Location
Tuscaloosa, AL
1tfrot said:
could've sworn Erins buggy had an auto in it last year when we wheeled together. ???
It may have now but last time I saw it it was manual?


Edit just talked to Erin it had a Chevy nv4500 in it! Also side note he just sold the buggy
 

Gittinit

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2013
Messages
135
Location
north east arkansas
patooyee said:
Where was I chastising you or even being negative?

NOW I'M [chastising] I think what is really happening here is that you thought you you were going to blow some minds with your totally unique idea of using a manual transmission but instead you got a bunch of guys with actual experience telling you truthful answers that you didn't want to hear. So now you have sand in your vagina and are sitting at home drying your tears with extra-aloe Kleenex-brand ultra-plush pink tissues thinking about how we are all just a big bunch of meanies.


Don't tell me about being different. Ask anyone, I'm probably one of the most snickered-at people here for my quirkiness. When I think I have a good, different idea I spend money to develop it, build it, test it, report the results good or bad, and even market it if I feel it worked well. (www.patparts.com) I have probably $15,000 worth of ideas that I tried on my current buggy that didn't work and went straight into the trash and another $15,000 worth of business ventures / prototypes that haven't panned out outside of the 4x4 world. If you think we're all wrong put your money where your mouth is, build it and report back. Don't sit on the internet complaining like a bitch. [/chastising]

Your choices for manual transmissions are limited because they are in low demand. They are in low demand because very few want them. Very few want them for logical reasons. We are telling you those reasons.

And just for the record, my tow rig has an NV5600 6-speed manual. I just got done putting a $1000 clutch in it. I sold a newer, nicer truck with an auto just to get the manual. I could have bought an equally nice, new truck with a 6-speed manual G56 but I believe the NV5600 is a better transmission. So you're not talking to someone who does not appreciate the merits of a good manual transmission.

I guess we took each other to literal . Its to bad sarcasm dosen't interpret well in text. I bet your a great guy in person. To bad that dosnt interpret to well in text either. It would be different if I knew you, where your coming from. And now knowing u also appreciate a manual and aren't just a naysayer like I suspected helps.
 

Gittinit

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2013
Messages
135
Location
north east arkansas
al1tonyota said:
Don't ask questions if you are gonna whine about the answers you get! There is no reason to lie and experience is worth more than any planning you can do! There is a guy from Michigan that has a bouncer with manual trans in it his name is Erin and the buggy is called the jiggiler I think that's how it's spelled? Yea you can put one in there, I really hope you do! :flipper:

Thanks, I'll check into the jiggler. I must have missed the part where lying or whining was involved.

You all have proven its not a good option beyond a doubt. Thanks for keeping me from being different and regretting it.
 

1tfrot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2014
Messages
925
Location
chi-town
al1tonyota said:
It may have now but last time I saw it it was manual?


Edit just talked to Erin it had a Chevy nv4500 in it! Also side note he just sold the buggy

nice. that didn't take long. it was just up for sale a few weeks ago.
 

Primary

HardlineCrawlers Assistant
Here are some related products that HardlineCrawlers members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to HardlineCrawlers’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to HardlineCrawlers discussions about these products.

 
 
Top