• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Manual transmission oils

Fordzuki

Zuk Hoarder
My question is regarding the use and differences between GL4 and GL5 rated manual transmission lubricants. From everything I find searching, it sounds as though GL5 is not good to use in transmissions with yellow parts, ie. brass synchros. But looking in the manual and online, the samurai transmission calls for API GL-5 75w90 GM Lubricant. :eeek: I was running cheapy gl5 80w90 in it after rebuilding it, and it still had a whine and notchy shifts. I swapped in some Lucas synthetic 75w90 trans and diff lube, cause I couldn't find anything with a GL4 rating. The whine is mostly gone, and the shifts are alot smoother. I'm just wondering what I should be running in it, and what everyone else is running in their manual transmissions?

I have the same issue my pathfinder.

Gl4 can be 80-90 weight, its the phosterous antiwear properties that eat up the soft metals (gl5).

You can get it in synthetic in what you need but thats bs, its getting really hard to find dyno in the spec we need.

I run Omala 320, this is about 150 weight, and will shut up the whiney tranny.
It is also softmetal compatable.

I bought a 5 gallon jug for 60 bucks up in canada.. call an oil supplier and they'll have it.

I use GL5 in my gearbox, and haven't had an issue with it...but the input bearing in mine's made noise since I bought it! It did get quiter with fresh in it!!!:haha:

the problem is at the addative level, I've heard of people having gl5 for along time.
the anti wear addatives are phosphorus, phosphorus is also a binding agent in soft metals. phosphorus can be alkaline or acid... so you don't know what your mixing unless you know the exact coctail.

(i only know this because we run high end gear boxes and oil is a big issue i.e. soft metal vs oil compatability)

Cool, good info. The only thing I found was some penzoil synchromesh for GM that said it was GL-4 and GL-5 compatable, which jives with the GM comment in the book, but for $1 more I got the Lucas stuff.

Do you still street your rig zukkev?

Cool, good info. The only thing I found was some penzoil synchromesh for GM that said it was GL-4 and GL-5 compatable, which jives with the GM comment in the book, but for $1 more I got the Lucas stuff.

thats some of the last dino available that i know is OK with the soft metals.

He did Saturday night, but that was in a parade. It did tow it to the start and then back home.

:haha::haha::ANYWORD: Only at Trail Jam---I could if I put Flares on, and flaps,and fix the compound driveline angle issue, and..and....and......!:D It is insured and plated at least!