• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Maual valve body?

With a mild built chev 350 w/th400 trans and 4.56 gears in axles.Thinking of putting the manual valve body in it, just seeing what every one thinks

I would definately run a full manual setup on a auto trans wheeler. With proper gearing you will definately never regret it, just too many advantages while wheeling. In all my wheelers I have opted for the transgo stage 3 shift kit because of cost(120.00), over a
Manual valve body, as it does everything a manual VB does including compression brakeing which is important for long steep hills. Only thing it(Transgo) doesnt do is give you a reverse manual shift option, only way you can get that feature is with a different VB.

I use the TransGo stage 2 in the 727 I have. Kind of a hybrid version that holds 1st and 2nd but allows auto shifting in drive. I still think about going full manual but haven't justified the expense yet.

I thought I saw something on the IntardWeb a few years back about being able to modify the OEM VB on a THxxx for full manual but honestly never looked into it since I dont use anything with a GM trans.

so the transgo stage 2 and 3 will hold 1st and 2nd but will shift through the gears in drive? I know in the chevelle I had,it had a full manual vb and in drive it did not want to move,felt like slipping but thats because of the full manual vb and the stall I had.

so the transgo stage 2 and 3 will hold 1st and 2nd but will shift through the gears in drive? I know in the chevelle I had,it had a full manual vb and in drive it did not want to move,felt like slipping but thats because of the full manual vb and the stall I had.

A transgo stage 3 is full manual only. The stage 2 will allow you to hold 1st or 2nd but will shift like normal in drive.

Glad to see this thread come up.. I was actually thinking of starting virtually the same thread today..

So not to hijack the thread but.....

I have a Th350 in my jeep, and am putting one in the buggy. I don't know if the Jeep is stock or not, but I do know this:

First gear holds.

Second gear will start in First, and then hold second.

Drive shifts auto.

Decent compression braking.

^^^^^^^ Is this how stock works???? If so, I may just run stock in the buggy to start with, although the ability to start out in second might be nice, but with a v-6, and 42's probably not that helpful most of the time.

This must already have a kit because 1st holds, 2nd holds, and drive shifts all gears. But if I start in 2nd in goes to first and shifts to 2nd and holds.

If i have the gear lever in drive with a manual vb it would start in drive not 1st from a stop correct?:beer:
Technically it will start in "3rd", there is no "drive". Assuming a 3-speed auto. Probably won't be happy, but it will do it.

With a full manual VB, think of it as a manual transmission.... without a clutch.

edit: Binder beat me to it. Posted while I was typing.

but then they will burn up because they can't handle anything over the heat of a pop-tart

:fawkdancesmiley:

Compared to what? They don't grenade at any lower temp than a Dodge or Chevy.

The only heat failed Fords I deal with at work are either abused, have plugged coolers or are at 150k and have never been serviced.

my c6 trans in my bronco w/built460 and well used tust me.4.88 gears detroit lockers and would do 2wd smoke shows w/37" swampers and the trans has never given me a stitch of problems,buried in 4 ft of water for a day and no issues, very strong if you ask me.