• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mig welding aluminum?

skipnrocks

So I got a spool gun for my setup. I can do a nice weld on a butt joint or a t joint. But can't seem to get the volts low enough with .035 wire. So my question is if I were to get 030 wire I think I can turn the bolts down and and wire speed up and we'd thinner tuff? Does this seem right

The stuff I'm welding is probably just lighter than 1/8. But I can't seem to weld a corner without instantly torching through. Like the corner of a gas tanks

Re: Mig welding aluminum?

I've welded some boat Bimini top supports and deer stands with .030, they were thinner than 1/8, should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be easier on you to use 80/20 or 90/10. Straight Argon isn't the best choice for MIG. It will always look like a cold weld.

You TIG weld with straight Argon.

I should add that ALOT of people mig weld with pure argon so, it's not a bad choice. It gives a concentrated heat zone and that is good except the opportunity is better for gas entrapment in the weld and porosity. A helium mix will mitigate those problems as long as you do you job.

twentyfootdaredevil said:
It would be easier on you to use 80/20 or 90/10. Straight Argon isn't the best choice for MIG. It will always look like a cold weld.

You TIG weld with straight Argon.

I should add that ALOT of people mig weld with pure argon so, it's not a bad choice. It gives a concentrated heat zone and that is good except the opportunity is better for gas entrapment in the weld and porosity. A helium mix will mitigate those problems as long as you do you job.

Oh I was thinking it was supposed to Ben straight argon. I got to try it a little today and learned a little lesson. I thought the higher the wire speed the more filler and less heat and blow through. But turns out I was wrong. I turned the wire speed down and got some pretty nice clean welds. I think I'm going to like this aluminum welding thing!! I need a lot of practice before I tackle what I bought it for... custom fuel tank for the kids buggy

Latest posts