• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mini crawler tech needed

Have any pictures or info on how the driveshaft from the motor to tcase was done? I havnt researched it much and can't Remember how the honda shafts are designed

whiskeymakin said:
Have any pictures or info on how the driveshaft from the motor to tcase was done? I havnt researched it much and can't Remember how the honda shafts are designed

Honda has a u joint driveshaft out the rear and a splined straight shaft in the front..

And a rancher/foreman has a factory sealed pull rope gear that spins the entire time it's running. So I don't see why u couldn't mount a car/truck altinator to that via pulleys and a belt or gears even mount it directly to the engine direct drive.

Honda has that pull rope gear pointed straight out the back beside the rear driveshaft with plenty of room.

Yamaha,Suzuki, artic cat, can am and polaris all have that gear pointed out the side. Usually the left side.

the 420 rancher would be perfect for a donor it's efi and ES. It also has the most power out of all the Honda four wheelers 500cc and below.. The only down fall is its liquid cooled but a air cooled motor in a crawler would be a issue in the summer anyway..

tommy450r said:
And a rancher/foreman has a factory sealed pull rope gear that spins the entire time it's running. So I don't see why u couldn't mount a car/truck altinator to that via pulleys and a belt or gears even mount it directly to the engine direct drive.

Honda has that pull rope gear pointed straight out the back beside the rear driveshaft with plenty of room.

Yamaha,Suzuki, artic cat, can am and polaris all have that gear pointed out the side. Usually the left side.

Actually I planned to look into machining an adapter to put a pulley on the pull rope gear and mounting a regular PS pump if the electric PS pump didn't work out.

tommy450r said:
the 420 rancher would be perfect for a donor it's efi and ES. It also has the most power out of all the Honda four wheelers 500cc and below.. The only down fall is its liquid cooled but a air cooled motor in a crawler would be a issue in the summer anyway..

420 ranchers are still $$$ though! For me, a drivetrain donor anyway

I don't think the air cooled engine (oil cooler) engine would be a problem. I've never overheated my old 350 rancher (or any other air cooled 4wheeler) on the farm or mud bogging that I can recall.

I may try to get one soon and ride it for a couple years till I "need" to start on the buggy. My son is only 5 months old :D

TBItoy said:
Actually I planned to look into machining an adapter to put a pulley on the pull rope gear and mounting a regular PS pump if the electric PS pump didn't work out.

420 ranchers are still $$$ though! For me, a drivetrain donor anyway

I don't think the air cooled engine (oil cooler) engine would be a problem. I've never overheated my old 350 rancher (or any other air cooled 4wheeler) on the farm or mud bogging that I can recall.

I may try to get one soon and ride it for a couple years till I "need" to start on the buggy. My son is only 5 months old :D

Shoot man I just sold a 420 that needed a top end rebuild for 1000 bucks. And it ran just smoked a little. U could do the top end yourself for under 400 bucks.i see them pretty often for cheap but need work. And the air cooled probably would never cause an issue but I have seen them get really hot when riding around slow spraying roundup and stuff like that. Back when they did the bollweevil bug stuff for cotton farmers around here they all wanted liquid coolied four wheelers to keep the heat down..

Shameless fer sail plug here but I have a old burnt up (sitting in the sun all its life) Honda 450 foreman that just needs a carb. 75 bucks on ebay. I would take $700.00 dollars for.. It's a ES 4x4. its a ugly turd but would make a great donor for a mini buggy. It's been in my family since new and ran when parked about 5 years ago my cousin took the carb off to clean and God knows where it ended up.

tommy450r said:
Shameless fer sail plug here but I have a old burnt up (sitting in the sun all its life) Honda 450 foreman that just needs a carb. 75 bucks on ebay. I would take $700.00 dollars for.. It's a ES 4x4. its a ugly turd but would make a great donor for a mini buggy. It's been in my family since new and ran when parked about 5 years ago my cousin took the carb off to clean and God knows where it ended up.

Dang man I knew 4wheelers went for a lot cheaper in west tn. I just haven't been able to do much deal hunting over that way recently.

im interested in the 450, I'd like to make a deal on it and the 60/70 you have. I'll pm you

I want to convert the engine to propane anyway.

Pm replied

Propane would be cool on a mini buggy with a fourwheeler motor be very different.. But them carbs will run on pretty much any angle as is with no modifications..

TBItoy said:

I had the same thought but my concern with the regular PS style pump was that at full lock if the pump binds or strains it would kill the motor.