• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Minimum lower link lenght on 4 link

AllGoNoShow

I am getting my frame laid out for my buggy and it is looking like my lower links are going to be pretty short for the wheelbase I am shooting for. I wanted a long flat belly, so the links needed to be short. I am looking at 24-26'' lower links. Is this way too short or will it work ok? I don't need crazy travel out of this suspension, maybe 6'' up an 6'' down. Buggy will be used mostly for crawling, but will definitely see some hill climbing.

AllGoNoShow said:
I am getting my frame laid out for my buggy and it is looking like my lower links are going to be pretty short for the wheelbase I am shooting for. I wanted a long flat belly, so the links needed to be short. I am looking at 24-26'' lower links. Is this way too short or will it work ok? I don't need crazy travel out of this suspension, maybe 6'' up an 6'' down. Buggy will be used mostly for crawling, but will definitely see some hill climbing.

My factory ones are 27 and it is terrible... As soon as you start rolling away (leaning) from one of the rear tires it act as if it will flip over immediately

You need to try and keep lower links the same measurement as the true height of tire give or take a few inches

I am still working on the frame layout. I was hoping for a 112'' wheelbase, but it is looking more like 118'' ish. The tires will be in the 42-44 inch range, big block Ford, and built 1 tons. I designed the frame layout with the thought of having a 4 link similar to the design that is on the moonrover/screaming 2, screaming blue, equalizer buggys. Where both the upper and lowers branch off of the main frame rail. From the pictures that I have seen, it looks like those buggies have shorter links than most other buggies. Could anyone tell me what the link lengths are on something like one of those buggies? Thanks for the help guys.
'

If the lower links are flat or dang near flat at ride height, it will work fine with short links, as long as you keep your suspension travel reasonable.

TBItoy said:
If the lower links are flat or dang near flat at ride height, it will work fine with short links, as long as you keep your suspension travel reasonable.

Yes, I was planning on having the links completely flat.

Re: Re: Re: Minimum lower link lenght on 4 link

AllGoNoShow said:
I am still working on the frame layout. I was hoping for a 112'' wheelbase, but it is looking more like 118'' ish. The tires will be in the 42-44 inch range, big block Ford, and built 1 tons. I designed the frame layout with the thought of having a 4 link similar to the design that is on the moonrover/screaming 2, screaming blue, equalizer buggys. Where both the upper and lowers branch off of the main frame rail. From the pictures that I have seen, it looks like those buggies have shorter links than most other buggies. Could anyone tell me what the link lengths are on something like one of those buggies? Thanks for the help guys.
'

Like this? This is how I am planning on linking my front end. Rearend is already linked like this. It's not double triangulated, not really single triangulated, but like "single and a half triangulated" because the lower links still have a bit of triangulation mounting on inside of frame rails, just not as much as a crossmembered double triangulated setup.

zesu8aqe.jpg

Re:

Rokcrler said:
What the hell single and a half?! You have tri uppers and the lowers are semi tri. Just sayin'

That's exactly what I said beyotch. "Single and a half" was a dumb term I said because it's like between single and double..... you know, kinda like "semi tri" :flipoff1:

VVVV
TacomaJD said:
because the lower links still have a bit of triangulation mounting on inside of frame rails, just not as much as a crossmembered double triangulated setup.

I tried getting the 4 link calc to setup "single and a half" and it crashed my pc after laughing at me :****: molaugh

Rokcrler said:
I tried getting the 4 link calc to setup "single and a half" and it crashed my pc after laughing at me :****: molaugh

I hate you. molaugh Don't you know, that's right up there with flux capacitors and blinker fluid? Oh, and unicorns! :woody:

Ok another question guys. It looks like both my uppers and lowers are going to be very close to the same length. Is this ok as long as it is triangulated enough.

AllGoNoShow said:
Ok another question guys. It looks like both my uppers and lowers are going to be very close to the same length. Is this ok as long as it is triangulated enough.

Yep, a lot (maybe most) buggies are setup this way.

Keeps the pinion angle in check during travel.