• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Misalighnment

You always need a safety washer as stated above. Whether or not you need a misalignment spacer has more to do with the angle between your steering arm and steering link. If you are going to cause the heim body to rotate up and hit the bolt head or safety washer at full droop then you should add a misalignment spacer. If you are binding the heims at either end at full droop then you should work to lessen then angle of your steering link.

krackem said:
??? Same as a lock washer

Not at all, it's like a wide thinner misalignment spacer

safety_washers.jpg

Re: Misalighnment

I do it for a few reasons...

Can't separate and wobble if it were to loosen up.

The mounting hole depth is increased and strength is increased.

It can't fall off and run away in the dirt or garage floor.

It looks cool.

Same reasons safety washers are welded to link tabs.

Re: Re: Re: Misalighnment

crawlin85cj said:
I do it for a few reasons...

Can't separate and wobble if it were to loosen up.

The mounting hole depth is increased and strength is increased.

It can't fall off and run away in the dirt or garage floor.

It looks cool.

Same reasons safety washers are welded to link tabs.

Gotcha, I never really though about welding them, I've just used them as thin misalignment spacers.

cutngut said:
Will i use these on top and bottom of the heim?

If you need to for misalignment, you don't have to though. You could use just one on the "open" side.

Hell, you don't "have" to use them at all.

You can just use a regular washer, or no washers at all.

TBItoy said:
If you need to for misalignment, you don't have to though. You could use just one on the "open" side.

Hell, you don't "have" to use them at all.

You can just use a regular washer, or no washers at all.

^^^^^^^^^^ TBltoy is correct in saying that you dont need to use washers at all. But keep in mind that steering and brakes are two items on your rig that your really always want to work. Inevitably they will fail you at the least opportune time. Without a washer, your steering link will disconnect from the steering arm if your heim fails. It happens often enough that they designed and produced safety washers to prevent the issue. Just sayin.