• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mix-n-Match ???

zukkev

Cornfuzzled yet again...
Ok, looking at trying to go from 6on5.5 GM to 5on5.5 Ford front wheel hubs using GM spindles...

WHAT is the magic mix n match solution? Any part numbers would be helpful! thanks!!!

Pre 77'sh D44 1/2 ton "small bearing" spindles. Or full-sized Jeep of the same vintage will have the small spindles as well. Anything past around '78 or 10-bolt or 3/4-ton will have the big bearings. You'll use the GM stub shafts as well. The only non-GM part will be the Ford hub/rotor.

I think there might be an odd year Ford hub/rotor combo that will cause headache, like '85 or something. But for the most part I think its any F150/Bronco hub/rotor assembly from like '78 till they changes patterns.

I think the pain in the **** year is 88. For the most part the hubs are the same from 76-95ish. When I did this conversion to put discs on an early bronco 44 I used 76 gm backing plates, spindles and calipers with 86 f150 hubs and rotors. The stock bronco stub shafts and locking hubs worked once a lip was lathe off the I side of the lock gear to seat deep enough into the hub.

Pre 77'sh D44 1/2 ton "small bearing" spindles. Or full-sized Jeep of the same vintage will have the small spindles as well. Anything past around '78 or 10-bolt or 3/4-ton will have the big bearings. You'll use the GM stub shafts as well. The only non-GM part will be the Ford hub/rotor.

I think there might be an odd year Ford hub/rotor combo that will cause headache, like '85 or something. But for the most part I think its any F150/Bronco hub/rotor assembly from like '78 till they changes patterns.
So, 77 & down GM, or 77 & down FSJ for bearings...And according to all I search the 76-86 Ford F150 rotor/hub assy is the key then?
Cool...

Pretty sure these are big bearing spindles, is there an inner bearing number that will allow these Ford hubs to work? The outer bearings are the same for big and small gm spindles, That much I/we have figured out...:corn:

By Application the 79F150 bearing/race ID is 1.7812, and OD is 3.0625, and the GM ID is 2", while the OD is 3.228" for the 79 K10...

Almost seems that the key is to go small bearing GM/FSJ (77 and older) spindles to make this work, as they use the same inner bearing as the 79F150...AM I missing something, or is THAT the key ? :corn:

By Application the 79F150 bearing/race ID is 1.7812, and OD is 3.0625, and the GM ID is 2", while the OD is 3.228" for the 79 K10...

Almost seems that the key is to go small bearing GM/FSJ (77 and older) spindles to make this work, as they use the same inner bearing as the 79F150...AM I missing something, or is THAT the key ? :corn:

You got it.

Pre 77'sh D44 1/2 ton "small bearing" spindles. Or full-sized Jeep of the same vintage will have the small spindles as well..........

um....... yah. too many frosty beverages??

:redneck:

This was info gathering for someone else...(See 2nd post!!! Haha...)...
Him bashful...

It'll be a bit before the project moves forward, but looks like we have all the info needed to make it happen. Thanks again!