• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mobile home brake axles

Rjhoward32006

Wanting to re-build a dual axle trailer i have. It has mobile home axles underneath it but with no brakes.
I've been looking up prices to convert them to brake axles. Anyone here done this or does anyone know where to buy mobile home axles with brakes on the cheapo?

Don't worry Ryan, he won't have to pay someone to do it, he will do it himself.

Jesse I found some conversion stuff when I was looking at a gooseneck with them under it, if I can find the stuff again I will send you links

Thanks Mark, i have some conversion stuff but it dosent look like many places offer the stuff, just thought i might could find some factory brake axles cheap

i run mobile home axles on my lowboy and i've been very happy with them.. the local mobile home store/dealer normally has complete axles for like $45.. I can buy the wheel and tire for $25 each so i just carry several spares..

i normally buy a whole axle, swap the brake parts over and keep the axle for later projects or spare parts.. you could also just take them to the scrapyard and get a damn near free brake rebuild.. if you can't find anything locally hit me up.. you've got my number from when i bought your reds a few weeks back and we can work something out..

I've always been curious as to why mobile home axles are supposedly such a terrible choice to build a trailer out of? Can anyone tell me why people seem to hate them so much? I have no experience with them but I've seen tons of cheap trailers with them. Seems like if they can hold a house they should be able to hold a vehicle?

Supposedly they are made for one time use only...
But i've pulled one for years and not a 1 problem.
They brake aseemblies are usually welded on the axle tube and not easily replaced in route,
You have to be careful putting the wheels on with the way they are bolted on (a centerless wheel) they are kind of a pain but honestly for as much as we tow i dont think they are a problem. I wouldnt go hot shot towing across the country or anything

besides that you are toying a quote "Tonka Toy" won't it just fit in the bed of your truck? molaugh

We used to use them haulin hay on goodenecks. The problem we gad was the tires you get. They hate any kind of heat. It got to the point in the summer we carried more spares than tires on the trailer. Like was said. One time use. Lol. But in lighter apps they do fine. We eventually converted them over to a ford i think bolt pattern wheel. 5 lug if i recall correctly. Ill see if i can find more info.

Jessie my trailer has 3 mobile home axles on it. It's been to Moab and back.

I knew it had mobile home axles, forgot about the moab trip.
Dem axles dont skeer me.... If they can hold a house they can hold a samurai, i mean if it wasnt for the toyota axles i'd just put it in the bed of the truck lol

As for the brakes; mine has four bolt flanges on them the brake assemblies fit onto. The tires are F rated in the normal size. Usually a limited selection on brands though. I always carry two spares since I have 3 axles. Yeah I doubt you'd have any issues with the little sami on them. :dblthumb:

Latest posts