• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

More on brakes

tobyw

Need some basic brake system help. Still working on the same 2009 JKU, and have installed a Mopar Big Brake Kit which consists of a new master cylinder, booster, and front calipers/rotors. I’m battling an extremely soft, and sometimes non-existent, brake pedal. It really acts as if there is either still air in the system, or as if the master cylinder is bleeding by internally? There are no visible leaks anywhere in the system. I performed a typical bench bleed on the master prior to installation, but found an anomaly when attempting to bleed the system that I’m hoping is a clue to the problem:

When I attempt to bleed the rear brakes, the brake pedal WILL NOT drop all the way to the floor. Instead, it hits a hard stop about ½ way through its travel?? I get a decent rush of fluid from the rear brake bleeders, no air bubbles, but I cannot get the pedal to go all the way to the floor…

When I bleed the front brakes, it’s exactly what you would expect â€" the pedal will drop all the way to the floor when you crack the bleeder. Again, decent rush of fluid, no air bubbles.

Is this indicative of something? The stock system had equal pedal throw front and rear during bleeding when the brake hoses were replaced last summer as part of a suspension lift installation.

is there an ABS system on these and have you bleed it? isn't there a special process to bleed the ABS system?

Yes, it's got ABS and I've done the Starscan tool bleed procedure more than once already. My biggest question/concern is with the difference in pedal travel when trying to bleed the front versus the rear? What would make the pedal travel shorter on the rear calipers? And why?