• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sold/Expired Motorcycle info???

jneese9125

Ok motorcycle guys. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a dual purpose bike for years and years. I'm not looking to drive it to Alaska or anything like that. Want something cheap but reliable. Looked at some tw 200's but I'm 185 lbs and with camping gear it'll be more. Is it enough power to get around or do I need to be looking at bigger bikes? What do yall recommend? Not looking for trips with more than an hours drive. Looking for more off road than on. Basically something fun and cheap to take camping and goof off on. Any feed back is appreciated. Thanks

your price range will determine ALOT. how much you wanting to fork out

wannabe said:
your price range will determine ALOT. how much you wanting to fork out

X2

I had a WR250R, nice, basically a dirtbike (frame and suspension), but has a 250cc EFI 4 stroke that is basically 1/4 of a R1 motor.

I liked it, but it needed some mods to accommodate my size (6' 240lb), drop pegs and bar risers.

I took it on several LONG road trips through NC/GA/TN back roads.

If I ever get another bike, I'm considering something a little bigger and cheaper (DRZ400 or DR650)

I'm not gonna dive in head first and buy a 5 thousand dollar bike or anything. I just wanna test the waters and see how much I like it to begin with before I spend a lot of money. The last thing I need is another 5 thousand dollar toy that just sits in the shop with the rest of them.

jneese9125 said:
I'm not gonna dive in head first and buy a 5 thousand dollar bike or anything. I just wanna test the waters and see how much I like it to begin with before I spend a lot of money. The last thing I need is another 5 thousand dollar toy that just sits in the shop with the rest of them.

Or do like me and buy a $5k bike, then sell it 2 years later for 1/2 that... ::)

You can pick up a decent bike for around $1000-1500

I had a DR650 and it was a good bike for gravel roads, but it was to big and heavy for the trails I like to ride, maybe bones will chime in he has had a couple. :****:

race_jeep said:
I had a DR650 and it was a good bike for gravel roads, but it was to big and heavy for the trails I like to ride, maybe bones will chime in he has had a couple. :****:

The weight of the bike has literally never crossed my mind as far as big bike vs small bike. Great point there. thanks

if you want something cheap and reliable go drz400. if you dont like it just sell it and get your 1500 back. if you like it go buy a new KTM or aprilla

i agree the drz is a great bike with a little price tag i wouldnt want to go any lower on the cc of the motor youll need to keep up with traffic so you dont get ran over
wannabe said:
if you want something cheap and reliable go drz400. if you dont like it just sell it and get your 1500 back. if you like it go buy a new KTM or aprilla

Honda xr650l. Impossible to kill, does good on road, plenty of power offroad, will jump the length of a truck and trailer...

I've rode mine on 8 hours interstate trips, then hit some of the hardest trails I've ever ridden. They make a ton of luggage for them, and aftermarket support is great. Parts are cheap because the base platform hasn't changed in 100 years