• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Muffler question

heep70

Unsociable A--hole
What muffler sounds best with a 20R and a header that isn't going to break me? I don't want a poppen, snappy high pitch muffler. Low 4 cylinder rumble would be cool.

I always like the cherry bomb myself, cheap and you can buy them anywhere but I would bet since I am a little more rough around the edges, theres a more efficient one, only a bit more cost out there.

If you run a cheery bomb or any muffler with no baffling you will get a ticket if you wheel ever east.

Get a 3 stage flow master--you will love it greg...

Any recommendations on places to get one at a decent price? Heck, I will even take used if it ain't wasted.

What series is the three stage?

Flowtech raptor turbo style muff. I have one on my 4 cyl car and it's pretty quiet. Most glasspacks I've heard are poppy on a toy.

They have them in stock a shmucks.

Totalled said:
Flowtech raptor turbo style muff. I have one on my 4 cyl car and it's pretty quiet. Most glasspacks I've heard are poppy on a toy.

They have them in stock a shmucks.

I ran one of these for a while and liked it, but it rusted out before I could snap my fingers. I changed over to the cherry bomb turbo II (still a chambered muffler, not a :rb: glasspack). It's louder, but it was cheap as hell and it has lasted way longer than the raptor one. This is on my Cherokee. It's the only part of the exhaust after the catalytic converter that hasn't fallen off. :redneck:

However, count me as voting for the flowmaster. I have a Delta Flow 40 series on my 4.0 Wrangler, sounds awesome... just enough throat/growl to make it fun to drive, but not at all loud and resonant on the highway (can't say that for the 20 dollar parts store mufflers). Flowmaster says the Delta Flow series is a step above the original 40 series in frequency cancelling baffling, so it makes it much better for newer cars with catalytic converters and people who don't want to get a headache from listening to a buzzing/droning exhaust all day on the highway.

I don't like the sound of my 40 series flow master. Highway speed is quiet but it's the 30-35mph when it starts resonating, this is in a GC, 4.0 without a cat.
I do like the construction of the FM, very strong and will probably get a "quieter" series when the CJ is ready for exhaust.

Last edited:
i've heard the 50 series are pretty quiet, i'll be in the market for a better exhaust on my '79 soon. i rigged up a temporary setup (glasspack with a downturn off the header pipe) when i installed my header, it's too goddamn loud and the resonation makes your head feel like it's gonna explode.

Flowmaster for me. I put one on my last XJ and loved it. I am looking to do the same to this new XJ when it comes time to replace the exhaust.

I have a flowmaster 2 stage on my rig its okay next time super traps quite at an idle and good sound at higher R's.

crash said:
If you run a cheery bomb or any muffler with no baffling you will get a ticket if you wheel ever east.

or up at TSF.....(in theory)

heard of very few people actually getting ticketed for it...

but have been inspected several times for it around moon/funny rocks...

--B

bobracing said:
I don't like the sound of my 40 series flow master. Highway speed is quiet but it's the 30-35mph when it starts resonating, this is in a GC, 4.0 without a cat.
I do like the construction of the FM, very strong and will probably get a "quieter" series when the CJ is ready for exhaust.

50 series is where it is at if you are confined on space...3" in 3" out...just right.

70 series BIG BLOCK muffler is the ticket if you do NOT have room issues. I love that muffler as I ran one on my Scout II. So deep...yet never really heard it.

I will have my 50 Series there at the clean up next weekend if you are going...Red Scout with flames.

Harvester of Sorrow said:
70 series BIG BLOCK muffler is the ticket if you do NOT have room issues. I love that muffler as I ran one on my Scout II. So deep...yet never really heard it.

thats what I've got on the big truck......3.5" in-out....

it is super deep sound.....almost "too" quiet sometimes....but soooooo nice all the rest of the time.....
you can actually talk to somebody spotting you while your driving....

Supertrapp "disc only" no packing just the adapter, the defuser, and a stack of disc.....And it's stamped "US FORESTRY APROVED" right on the end cap....That's what I always run ....but that's just me...:cheer: