• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Muncie M20 into a 4wd application?

DHR Darren

I remember back in the 80's you would see the old flat fenders with a sbc/car 4 speed combo quite often. Does anyone remember that setup and what was needed & what transfer case was used?

Watch out on the homemade ones lots of them used a welded mainshaft which was fine for the power back then but questionable nowadays.

The homemade adapter?

It is getting an aluminum headed 383. It dyno'd at 446hp@6600 & 488ft.lb.@ 5100.

yep. people used an aluminum adapter for another application (cant remember which one ) and then made their own output shaft by welding two shafts together. Had one in my first flatty with a 225 oddfire but replaced it with a truck 4 speed for the lower gearing

If you plan to offroad this at all that 1st gear would suck. My T18 with 3.09 second gear is not always enough. If you plan to race it then it should be great.

That's where I am at a crossroads, it will be a multi-purpose rig. Street, trail, dunes, snow.

Only reason I am thinking about the M20 is I have a new one on the shelf.

400+ hp and v8 weight are gonna make that toyota axle choice kinda bammer. The 39.5s are gonna seal the deal!

Bent housings and toasted R&Ps are in your future.

I know a guy with a flatty with a healthy 383 and the same setup you are talking about and 37s. He ended going to 5.89 in the rear 44 because the 1st gear sucked. Still not the best but he uses it as a hot rod not a wheeler and has been threw at least one gear set in the 44. The people on here are giving you good info think about listening.

I agree, lots of good info in here.
What transmission would you suggest for performance use in all applications?
Dune, street, snow & moderate trail use?

An SM465 might be an decent all around option, you have the 6.5:1 first gear for trail use, 2nd gear is somewhere around 3.5:1, which is still lower than the M20.