• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My 60 project...

Will probably be a bit costly to do 5x5.5 outers on a 60 front, but if you start your planning now. Otherwise you could always swap your j20 60 for an 8 lug rear 60 instead, but I guess then you'd have to narrow the housing and do shafts. Too bad things couldn't be easy:booo:

You need to make friends with a machinist. First you turn the wheel hub "snout" down to the same diameter as the locking hubs (so it will fit through the center hole in the rim). Then you redrill the pattern to 5x5.5. Add some more F-150 rotors and GM calipers and buy bolt on brackets from one of several vendors on PBB.

man too may options. :booo:

But I guess I could run two bolt patterns. I dont bring a spare anyways now. I could put inner tubes in for added protection.

JOOP said:
man too may options. :booo:

But I guess I could run two bolt patterns. I dont bring a spare anyways now. I could put inner tubes in for added protection.

Just buy some aluminum adapters to change the lug pattern

JOOP said:
I think I'm going to go that route. I just brought back all my stuff and got chevy stuff today. But the rotor's are 8 lug. So I either need to get ford rotor's or wheel adapters. What front axle were you running and did it have the same bolt pattern? I just want a bolt pattern that is easy and cheap.
if you are building 60's it isn't going to easy or cheap:flipoff:

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I run the D60-2 from a J-Truck in My CJ7. . .There is a pretty neat trick to this axle. The axle retainer bolt pattern just happens to be EXACTLY the same pattern as a Chevy D44 spindle and, therefore, a chevy front D44 1/2 ton caliper stand so you don't need to weld on caliper stands, just get them from the yard. All you have to do is make some spacers to get the caliper spacing correct on your Dodge/Ford Rotors. you'll also have to have the axle flange AND the nose (reference circle) of the axle shafts turned down to fit in the rotor hats, but other than that, the brakes are a bolt on deal.

I'm going to go with a 8 lug set-up. I already have all the rotor's , calipers, etc. Just need to get wheel adapters. reason I'm going this route is because most front 60's are 8 lug. It'll just make things easier in the long run.

So are you going to have your rear shafts redrilled? If so, you can still do the same thing, just use 3/4 ton chevy caliper stands, calipers AND rotors in the rear. Using the factory front caliper stands on the D60-2 ensures that the verticle spacing of the calipers in relation to the rotors is perfect. . .unlike weld on brackets. Then you wouldn't have put wheel adapters on it.

I dont think the shafts can be redrilled, there's not enough surface area. I'm trying to find some wheel adapters but all I'm finding is spacers.

JOOP said:
30 spline :booo: :booo: :booo:
If you are going with wheel adapters than you sill just still run the 5lug rotor then bolt the adapters to it. you wouldnt want to put a rotor onto an adapter. it might be easier for you to sell that 5lug d60 (my friend gets 400-500 for them) and pick up a ford rear 60 full floater. then you will have 8 lug and the 30 spline ones are ok with alloy shafts. THen it is a lil wider which I am warning you you will need. I bought a couple rear axles before I used the one I have now.

I compared the 8.8 shaft 31 spline to the D60 30 spline. Very noticeable difference. :booo:

Sell it. Like I said, you need a front axle way worse than a rear. I thought this project was kinda silly from the get go.

Just buy both front and rear axles from the same rig. 1 ton of course. Sounds like a mess your going thru. Isnt there a 1 ton rig being parted on here right now?

CrustyJeep said:
Sell it. Like I said, you need a front axle way worse than a rear. I thought this project was kinda silly from the get go.

I know, once I pulled the axle shaft and saw 30 spline that kinda killed all my GO for this project. Well I'll sell it and move on from there. :booo: :booo: I wonder what I can get for it?

This is a build up thread i thought? It seems to me its a 4x4tech thread instead. Where are the fawking pics Jon?:pics:

Latest posts