• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My California Adventure (warning, lots o' big pics)

Trailtoy1993

Howdy Y'all! Well after a lazy few days I am getting round to posting some of my adventure to the Rubicon and parts down south!

We drove down rather leisurely on Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning and found ourselves a camp spot in Loon Lake Campground. After settling in we headed to the trailhead on Thursday morning
P1040137.jpg

only to discover that the charging system, wasn't! :mad: After getting a jump and a little charge up from the owner of this super clean cruiser and his son
P1040139.jpg

P1040140.jpg

we drove back down to Placerville to get a new alternator. (Beware, Placerville Napa is a crooked outfit, more on this later) Bought a new alt. that was not the same as the old one, modified the mount to fit new allternator and I still was not charging!!!! :mad: I discovered then that a certain power-window-module-removal-operation, had all of the plugs unplugged from the fuse box! Damn alternator was fine and the crooked bastards at Napa "tested" (out of my sight, mind you) my old one and sold me a new one even though mine was fine!!!!! :wtf:

Oh well, we made it out on to the trail on Saturday with some of these fine gentlemen
P1040195.jpg

and proceded to wheel the 'Con!

P1040154.jpg

P1040166.jpg

First real obstacle we came to (the gatekeeper is now rather mild) the locals called kitchen sink.

P1040221.jpg

They seemed to be having quite the hard time with it and quite frankly I couldn't figure out why! I will post a pic of me on it soon and tell you a little story about kitchen sink, don't let me forget!

The next up was the "Little Sluice" very famous and rightfully so these rocks are only slightly smaller than a Samurai!!!!

P1040240.jpg

Another view, looking down the "box" (note all the rigs taking the bypass :D )
P1040235.jpg

Everyone kept asking me if I was going to do the "sluice" and I kept answering "I didn't drive 800 miles to not do the most famous section of the most famous trail!"
P1040250.jpg

Hmm, minor problem, found the one slippery rock on the whole trail! :redneck: No big, turn the wheel and back out onto tires!
P1040252.jpg

and the exit
P1040258.jpg

Note angle of hood and axle to dude standing vertical, I am leaned way over here with my front end almost perpendicular! "Please don't eat me Mr. Rock!!!" :haha: the sluice is definately worth it!

I got alot more to go but gotta get them uploaded and stuff including juicy stuff about the "fourwheelerTV" crew, me being a rock star, motorbikes, etc., etc.

More to come........!

P1040691.jpg

Alright.

We wheeled to Buck Island Lake and hung out with a group from Overkill Jeep Fabrication whom all were very cool and well built rigs... On the way out we ran up the "Big Sluice" which we had not taken the night before due to time. The pics might not show it but there is some tough stuff in the "Big Sluice"!

P1040319.jpg

This rock was polished with diff dragging and the lttlewhite specks around the rock are all metal shavings!
P1040325.jpg

This little rock is actually about the size of one of my old 36's and caused me more trouble than about all the rest of the 'Con! Just could not get a rear tire on it unless I went over the big rock to the left! The right side was protected by a tree that looked hungry for my radiator.
P1040331.jpg

A little posing
P1040340.jpg

After the first trip up to Buck Island Lake, we had to go back out and get the truck and trailer out of the pay campground and go down to town since I forgot my spare hubs and didn't want to be alone on the trail without spares..

We came back in via Wentworth Springs entrance, don't get it twisted the entrance might not go over "gatekeeper" but it has some tough terrain of its own!
P1040508.jpg

P1040513.jpg

P1040530.jpg

P1040523.jpg

More to come......

Those are some great pictures. Glad I opened them up here at work vs. at home on the dialup.

That shot up the Sluice looks gnarly.

Is that the same base rig that you had a couple years ago (when you and your portable winch helped me get my rear axle back in place under my B2 up on Isabel)? It was plenty capable then, but it’s gone through some major changes since then if it is the same truck. Looks like it works great. How big are those IROK’s?

bailey said:
Is that the same base rig that you had a couple years ago (when you and your portable winch helped me get my rear axle back in place under my B2 up on Isabel)? It was plenty capable then, but it's gone through some major changes since then if it is the same truck. Looks like it works great. How big are those IROK's?

Since i Know Brad doesnt get on too often.... those are 41x14.50r17 IROKS. :clappy:

And it most likely is the same Base rig you're thinkin of