• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

MY DODGE 5.9 VS. 6.7 please?

wheelinjp

:awesomework:Ok I am looking at new and used 2006 thru 2008 dodge mega cab 4x4 auto diesels. I figure there should be enough guys on here with both to give their opinion. This isnt a what brand to buy thread, so keep it on topic. I understand the 6.7 gets a little worse mileage. I plan on doing a lift, 35s or 37s, a programmer, and air intake, and exhaust. so with those mods one friend is getting alot better mileage than stock on his 6.7. I am leaning towards a new truck since the manuf. and dealer insentives are really good right now. Let me know what the advantages of each are. Is the 6.7 more power and torque? thanks in advance:hi:

Also I am planning on it as a daily driver, and hauling 5 quads or a blazer wheeler on a car trailer, not using for a big heavy hauler.

Is the 6.7 more power and torque?

Yes but only to compensate for the major emissions on the engine. The Idea from dodge was that if you were to drive an 06 with the 5.9 and then the 6.7 you will not notice a difference in power. like I said the .8 liter jump was to bring back the power lost by all the emissions.

My vote goes to the 5.9. Better gas mileage, and far less emissions crap. The power/torque comparison is pretty equal with todays programmers. The only thing the 6.7 wins in is it is quieter, and comes stock with an exhaust brake IMO.

I have a 6.7, but wish I had gotten the 5.9 mostly because of all the emissions, but Joe (six-nine) has his 6.7 fixed up nicely, I would go the same route if mine wasn't the C&C. :awesomework:

I have an 08 3500 4x4 quad cab long bed srw. 2" leveling kit with 35s, no other mods. I get 13 around town and 17 on the highway. It was 1-2 mpg better before the leveling kit and bigger tires. Lots of torque, and the 6.7 has 19K trouble free miles. No issues at all. The factory exhaust brake is REALLY nice.

mine has 26,000 on it and I had some trouble with the emissions stuff for the first 15,000 miles but then I put on a AFE cai, bullydog pmt and my particulate filter fell off:D

since then I get 4 or so miles a gallon better and lots more power. thats with my 35's too. if you go to cummins forum you will find lots of info on making the 6.7 a better engine. my friend over here is one of the guys who has spent a lot of time developing stuff for them. he currently sells a twin turbo kit that uses the stock turbo so you can keep the exhaust brake. his truck also has twin cp3's and bigger injectors. it made 691hp/1200tq the other day but the dyno wouldnt measure tq any higher than 1200. just my .02

i have a 07 quad cab long bed 6.7 6 speed manual. i get between 15 and 18 around town 19-21 on the highway depending on how i drive all hand calculated. towing is another story i get about 12 -13 towing a 5th wheel thats about 16.5k loaded. when towing the power is nice i can pull vantage at 80 mph 6th gear no problems with my 5th wheel. i have a ts mp-8 programmer gave me probably 30hp but about 2mpg better other than that its stock. the eb is very nice i hardly have to use my brakes its all eb. with the 6.7 you have to drive it hard on occasion or it gets sooted up. exhaust is expensive and your warranty is gone if you do a dpf delete. i got 26,000 trouble free miles and about 12,000 were towing the 5th wheel. i am very happy with the truck all around.

warranty is only voided if you take it to a dealer that isnt mod frendly. they understand they can have pissed customers because the truck soots itself up or they can look the other way and keep you happy.

the dpf id like trying to breath out through a pillow, remove it and its a whole new truck.

i have a 5" turbo back and a afe cold air intake but i havent put it on yet because i dont know where there are any mod friendly dealers.

there is one in idaho that is really mod frendly, but I dont go there. I havent had a reason to go to the dealer since I fixed all my problems.

Not sure if you are an auto or manual guy. The 6 speed auto is a nice tranny and works well with the EB & tow mode.

I will be adding the MP-8 to mine shortly. I have heard good things about their products in relation to the 6.7. Most guys who are not doing the full DPF delete are doing the MP-8 and CAI.

I have heard some horror stories from guys who got some of the first 6.7's (2007 1/2). Most peops with the 2008's are having good luck. The mileage was definitely better on my 5.9 than my 6.7.

Keep in mind the new body style and 4 door cab comes out in 2010 for the 2500/3500's. Mega will be gone and it will fall somewhere between the mega and quad cab's size.

Last edited:
My vote goes to the 5.9. Better gas mileage, and far less emissions crap. The power/torque comparison is pretty equal with todays programmers. The only thing the 6.7 wins in is it is quieter, and comes stock with an exhaust brake IMO.

My 06 is pretty quiet, I don't think the latter 07's or 08's are any quieter, when it comes to compression nock...........but I will be strait piping mine this week end :awesomework:

and every thing Barnyard said is true about the 6 speed auto. I have the 6 speed manuel and I love it, but I test drove an 08 1 ton 4wd dually with the 6 speed auto 12 foot bed and 55 gallon tank for one of my new work trucks and it was awsome, and the eb was bitchen too.

i have a 07 quad cab long bed 6.7 6 speed manual. i get between 15 and 18 around town 19-21 on the highway depending on how i drive all hand calculated. towing is another story i get about 12 -13 towing a 5th wheel thats about 16.5k loaded. when towing the power is nice i can pull vantage at 80 mph 6th gear no problems with my 5th wheel. i have a ts mp-8 programmer gave me probably 30hp but about 2mpg better other than that its stock. the eb is very nice i hardly have to use my brakes its all eb. with the 6.7 you have to drive it hard on occasion or it gets sooted up. exhaust is expensive and your warranty is gone if you do a dpf delete. i got 26,000 trouble free miles and about 12,000 were towing the 5th wheel. i am very happy with the truck all around.

alright, i'd go with the 6.7 with a new truck just because they will work out the problems in no time, and it's a better motor.. But I am throwin up the BS flag big time on your mileage. Unless your truck was built by special people on a special day. You aren't getting that kind of mileage. Not if you have the DPF in there still. And 80 mph at over 24k with basically a stock truck? :haha:

I drive a 07.5 with the 6.7L and 6-speed auto, 22,000 miles on the odometer and its 100% stock. I record all my mileage every time I fill up, I usually get around 15-16 in the city, I

alright, i'd go with the 6.7 with a new truck just because they will work out the problems in no time, and it's a better motor.. But I am throwin up the BS flag big time on your mileage. Unless your truck was built by special people on a special day. You aren't getting that kind of mileage. Not if you have the DPF in there still. And 80 mph at over 24k with basically a stock truck? :haha:

bring your calculator and i'll take you for a ride. it will do 80+ at over 24k when i hauled it to texas i had the cruise set at 85 :flipoff:

Keep in mind that mileage differs greatly between 2 wheel drive and four wheel drive, Mine's a 4x4 and gets 8 mpg towing 26k, 11-13 mpg around town, and 14-16 mpg hwy

bring your calculator and i'll take you for a ride. it will do 80+ at over 24k when i hauled it to texas i had the cruise set at 85 :flipoff:

I've had mine up to 85 mph with 26K, all the time :D

Last edited:

with a 30 hp over stock setting? Next time you're going up Vantage, take a video camera. If you can keep 80 at 24k+ up vantage I'll give you 50 bucks. I have towed over 24k with a Common rail Dodge WITH a smarty up vantage. I know what speed I was able to hold.. And that was even at 1350 degrees. And before you say the Smarty added heat with the more powerful programming. It actually lessoned the heat. It was worse bone stock. You can save this post just to make sure I remember.

with a 30 hp over stock setting? Next time you're going up Vantage, take a video camera. If you can keep 80 at 24k+ up vantage I'll give you 50 bucks. I have towed over 24k with a Common rail Dodge WITH a smarty up vantage. I know what speed I was able to hold.. And that was even at 1350 degrees. And before you say the Smarty added heat with the more powerful programming. It actually lessoned the heat. It was worse bone stock. You can save this post just to make sure I remember.

His post says 80 pulling his 5th wheel which is about 15K. :;

Latest posts