• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My experience getting ORV Tabs and Plates

mark

OK, so Friday I went up to my local DOL to get tabs/plates for my wheeler as well as ORV tabs.

First off, I wanted Collector Plates AND ORV tabs.... well I was flat-out told NO, I can't do that. In the opinions of the DOL workers at that station (who are actually REALLY easy to deal with and knowledgeable), putting collector plates on a rig that I then drive up into the woods violated the "intent" of collector plates. In there minds collector plates are for the guys who pull there cars out of the garage, wash them, and pull them right back in. Their "babies", NOT something that you take in to woods and bash around. While in my opinion my wheeler meets all the classification and usage rules of collector plates, they did not. I probably could have argued my case, and probably won, but it wasn't worth the battle as the ORV tabs are what I was really after. So I settled for regular plates, I'll look at getting a collector plate later (all my other "part time" rigs have them, since they sit 95% of the year).

OK, so what you need to do is get a "dual registration". I think it was more specifically "dual registration in leiw of tittle" or something like that, but don't quote me on that. I know that tittle was involved since it was specific that the tittle was not being surrendered. The lady I was dealing with know what needed to be done, and knew that it *could* be done, but it had been a long time since she had done it so she had to call to get the steps. Even then the print out she made wasn't 100% exact, but we figured it out.

If you getting tabs/plates at the same time, they need to do that transaction first, as they normally would. Once that is complete they then need to do the Dual Registration and process the ORV registration. There are some specific key strokes they need to do on the computer to get the right screens, but once they figure them out its pretty strait forward.

For me it was about $50 for the new tabs/plate (I got new plates since I never got them when I had the tittle transfered since I knew it was a project), then about $50 again for the ORV tabs. The tabs were about $30, but since it was a first registration it effectively was a tittle transfer so I got hit with the $12 transfer fee. Next time it will just be the renewal.

So now my rig with have a regular plate on the back, as well as the ORV plate/sticker and a second set of month/year tabs. Good thing is since I did them together they will renew at the same time. I'll post some pictures of the ORV tabs when I get home in case you don't know what they look like. I was expecting a little motorcycle sized plate, but no its a sticker like a Boat tab. You actually get (2) stickers, the lady said most people put one on their rig (usually motorcycles), then keep the other one in a "safe" place for when the first one gets trashed :haha:

I'll probably make a little "mini license plate" to mount mine and the tabs so i can easily move it as I make changes to the rig.

Took about 45-minutes or so, mainly cause of the learning curve, but was pretty strait forward once we got it down. I brought my tittle in but didn't need to, I copy would have sufficed just to get the information off of it. She ended up make a copy herself and putting it in the file with the ORV registration.

Its of NO concern to them what you do with your collector vehicle.

They sell tabs.

If you have a rig that meets the specs and can receive collector plates it is no place for them to govern what you do with said vehicle.

If you are misusing a collector plate it is an interest to a LEO, not a private lic agent. He needs to sell you what he is contracted to sell if you/your vehicle are eligible and leave the use and enforcement up to real officers of the law.

My M37 is beyond collector, its registered as a "horseless carriage" with the original 1950 plate and has lifetime registration. I take it to the woods and on poker runs and fun runs and such.

Too many Lic agents think they are the police.

You ever notice there is no sing at the hardware store or at McDs that says "threatening an agent is a FELONY". Yep. :rolleyes:

Collector Plate rules specifically say the rig can be used for parades and club functions.

How is going to the woods for a poker run NOT a club function?

Man stand up and tell them to sell you what you asked for.

Screw those bullies, if they dont cooperate I leave and give my money to another bizz that gives me what I am QUALIFIED to buy.

Those guys (Lic agents) are bullies and more people need to stand up to their BS.

I have been denied so many times just to visit another place and be helped by another person with the exact same paperwork and story/needs.

What is the advantage to dual registration?

Your street licensed rig as an ORV tag... your on a public road, wonder how much hassle you might get since ORV's aren't allowed on streets.

You'r ORV tagged street licensed rig is on state land, you don't have the discover pass, you might get a ticket because you have a street licensed rig on state land.

Yes, seemingly retarded situations, at the same time I could see this coming up since even stupider tickets have been handed out (and thrown out) by certain county officers.

I agree with you Brad. But on that day that wasn't the fight I was there for and since I didn't know what resistance I would get on the dual registration I decided to leave the collector plate for another day. Turns out the dual reg was a breeze.

I'll just come back next year when tabs are due and get a new plate :D. Till then Tabs don't bother me, I just don't want to have to do them EVERY YEAR for a rig that doesn't even get driven on the street anymore.

Mmmmm, M37..... someday I want one of those. I got enough projects I need to get out of the way first but I've always liked those and one day I'll add one to the stable. I know my boy would LOVE it.... probably drive to school given the chance (in 12 years when he's there).

Whats the rules/limits on Horseless Carriage plates? Last time I looked on DOL's website it sucked. I could find NO usfull information of ORV tabs.

Drop me a PM, no reason to get this thread off tangent.

Last edited:
What is the advantage to dual registration?

Your street licensed rig as an ORV tag... your on a public road, wonder how much hassle you might get since ORV's aren't allowed on streets.

You'r ORV tagged street licensed rig is on state land, you don't have the discover pass, you might get a ticket because you have a street licensed rig on state land.

Yes, seemingly retarded situations, at the same time I could see this coming up since even stupider tickets have been handed out (and thrown out) by certain county officers.
Search Travis.

The ONLY reason I got ORV tabs as well as Plates was to avoid buying a second Discovery Pass. ORV tabs work in liew of the DP and the $$ goes more directly to our chosen hobby.

Or atleast thats what I've gotten from all the discussions. I'll keep some sort of "street" plate on my rig or any future rig or buggy until I'm forced not to. That way I'm good on the street/roads/FS roads registration wise. I'm sure they can nail me to wall about not being "street legal", but atleast the registration will be there. Which in my experience seems to tend to make a FS Leo a little more lenient if they look at a line of rigs and see good plates and tabs even if they have no fenders, or windsheilds or blinkers.....

Last edited:
So instead of paying 30 a year for a disco pass, you're paying 30 a year for Orv tags? Aside from the destination of the money, are you gaining anything?

So instead of paying 30 a year for a disco pass, you're paying 30 a year for Orv tags? Aside from the destination of the money, are you gaining anything?

Washington ORV tags are valid in Oregon. If you go to the (Oregon) dunes, you must have ORV tags as both Oregon and Washington motor vehicle plates are not legal.

The short answer is no. It really in the allocation of the money. Although the Oregon reciprocity that TreeClimber just mentioned could be worth something.

Search Travis.

The ONLY reason I got ORV tabs as well as Plates was to avoid buying a second Discovery Pass. ORV tabs work in liew of the DP and the $$ goes more directly to our chosen hobby.

Or atleast thats what I've gotten from all the discussions. I'll keep some sort of "street" plate on my rig or any future rig or buggy until I'm forced not to. That way I'm good on the street/roads/FS roads registration wise. I'm sure they can nail me to wall about not being "street legal", but atleast the registration will be there. Which in my experience seems to tend to make a FS Leo a little more lenient if they look at a line of rigs and see good plates and tabs even if they have no fenders, or windsheilds or blinkers.....

I remember that thread... but I can also just imagine you getting hassled over having a street licensed rig without a discover pass even though it's also got an ORV tag.

It'll be interesting to hear if you have any run ins.

I went to do the same thing with the colector plates.
The problem i was told, is that you can't haul anything with it..

therefore, if i drove my rig up to go camping and the bed was full (this is on the new project) i could get in trouble...
Still going to get the duel rego on it.. but right now its just normally registered.

I remember that thread... but I can also just imagine you getting hassled over having a street licensed rig without a discover pass even though it's also got an ORV tag.

A discovery pass has nothing to do with being street licensed or not street licensed.

A discovery pass has nothing to do with being street licensed or not street licensed.
I thought it did? I think he is implying if it were a street only truck, it needs the pass. If its a tube buggy without street plates and simply ORV tags, he wouldnt need the pass, but the vehicle towing it there would.

In this case, its kind of both ways. Its street legal without a pass, but it has ORV tags so it shouldn't need the pass. The wording isn't very clear however...

Q. Who needs to purchase the Discover Pass?
A. The Discover Pass is required for access with street-legal motor vehicles. Some exemptions apply. A list of exemptions from Discover Pass requirements is posted on the Exemptions page on the Discover Pass website.
Off-Road Vehicle (ORVs): If your ORV is required to display an ORV tab, you do not need a Discover Pass for that vehicle. Generally, ORVs are non-street-legal vehicles. You will need a Discover Pass for the street-legal vehicle that transports your ORV to a state recreation site. The trailer does not require a pass. Street-licensed vehicles, such as dual-sport motorcycles or four-wheel-drive vehicles, will be required to display a pass.

Last edited:
It is a little vague, but it is the same as having a dual-sport motorcycle. It has to have plates to be on the street, but since it is "licensed" as ORV it also has to display the ORV tab, thus making it legal to not run the Disco.

On a side note. The money for the ORV tabs goes into the NOVA fund, so it will be in our best interest to keep an eye on that fund.

My fear is now that the Disco pass is in place, that it will make that much more likely that the NOVA funds account will be re-allocated again and again.

I've been running a collector plate on the blazer since I finished the last build... I tell people it's my "Rat Rod"...:redneck:

I'm gonna get ORV tabs instead of the discover pass... I'll remove my collector plate when on the trails... I might put the ORV sticker on the backside of the plate and just flip it around...

I thought it did? I think he is implying if it were a street only truck, it needs the pass. If its a tube buggy without street plates and simply ORV tags, he wouldnt need the pass, but the vehicle towing it there would.

In this case, its kind of both ways. Its street legal without a pass, but it has ORV tags so it shouldn't need the pass. The wording isn't very clear however...

"Street legal" or "license plates" doesn't matter....It's very simple yet people seem to over think it. Every "vehicle" must have a discovery pass or ORV tags.....Doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it's a "vehicle"....Put all the other tabs, tags, permits or plates you want but they don't matter.:cheer:

It is a little vague, but it is the same as having a dual-sport motorcycle. It has to have plates to be on the street, but since it is "licensed" as ORV it also has to display the ORV tab, thus making it legal to not run the Disco.

On a side note. The money for the ORV tabs goes into the NOVA fund, so it will be in our best interest to keep an eye on that fund.
My fear is now that the Disco pass is in place, that it will make that much more likely that the NOVA funds account will be re-allocated again and again.

After talking with Mark Maureen from the DNR about this at our meeting on Saturday I seriously doubt we have anything to worry about. According to him the legislators heard more from us about the theft then any other user group (remember we also filed a lawsuit against the state) He seemed to think our funds were pretty safe now.

I've been running a collector plate on the blazer since I finished the last build... I tell people it's my "Rat Rod"...:redneck:

I'm gonna get ORV tabs instead of the discover pass... I'll remove my collector plate when on the trails... I might put the ORV sticker on the backside of the plate and just flip it around...

This /\ /\ :awesomework:

I could see the irony here. The law says street legal vehicles need a pass and non-street legal OHV's need tabs. So now state LEO's will be trying to prove that you're rig is actually street legal and we'll be trying to prove it's not.:haha::haha:

I could see the irony here. The law says street legal vehicles need a pass and non-street legal OHV's need tabs. So now state LEO's will be trying to prove that you're rig is actually street legal and we'll be trying to prove it's not.:haha::haha:
:haha:

Good point!

~T.J.