• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My experience getting ORV Tabs and Plates

So you need a pass to even use P.B. Rd??? ie: Say you wanted to go over to cavanaugh Rd to visit a friend via Pb Rd without touching hwy 9......

Mark Maureen

Funny Mark has told us otherwise at the Reiter focus group meetings. One meeting the DNR (Stan) went as far as to tell us of the DNR plans to help the local license agencies by outlining the steps to dual register vehicles. Why would they do this if dual register is of no use?

So you need a pass to even use P.B. Rd??? ie: Say you wanted to go over to cavanaugh Rd to visit a friend via Pb Rd without touching hwy 9......

PB is a county road (or it was last time I checked), so DNR cannot enforce the D-pass.

Funny Mark has told us otherwise at the Reiter focus group meetings. One meeting the DNR (Stan) went as far as to tell us of the DNR plans to help the local license agencies by outlining the steps to dual register vehicles. Why would they do this if dual register is of no use?

The DNR sees a bigger percentage of the $ from an ORV permit than they do from a D-Pass.

It is of use. I would just remove my plates when in an area that requires the DP until there is more clarity.

I think some people look at the law as an inclusion criteria. If you have plates you're included in the group that has to have the DP.

That's not how I read it. If you're REQUIRED to have plates you must have the DP. If you're in a ORV area with a ORV pass you're not required to have plates.

If it was only so straight forward.

You still need the pass when you need plates to drive down the road when in a DNR designated recreation area.

Except when you are on a county road such as Peter Burns.
(this came straight from the chief of DNR enforcement)

But if you have a ORV pass you're not required to have plates.

unfortunately it still doesn't solve the problem of people wanting to use dual-licensed rigs at areas that require the DP and won't allow ORVs to work. If you never plan on using your rig on a "street registered only" logging road (snow run, etc) then dual registration works.

Otherwise, you need a DP

unfortunately it still doesn't solve the problem of people wanting to use dual-licensed rigs at areas that require the DP and won't allow ORVs to work. If you never plan on using your rig on a "street registered only" logging road (snow run, etc) then dual registration works.

Otherwise, you need a DP
I disagree according to *my* translation of the law.

But its all mood. We can argue this all we want on the web, but its comes down to the LEO in question's interpretation, and then the judge that we stand infront of (if we decide to go that route) THEIR interpretation of the law that is the ultimate deciding factor. And as we have already said, LEO's can ticket you for anything they want, but then it is up to YOU to prove otherwise. And we have LEO's and Judges that are pro-ORV and anti-ORV so it will be a crap shoot.

I think one thing we can all agree upon however: if you have a DP, your "safe" no mater what your driving. The gray area is using ORV tags in lew of a DP for DP required off-road areas. And the only reason to make that choice it that ORV money goes more toward our uses vs's the DP's more biased distributions.

Well than the actual, physical 'Discovery Pass' its self is a joke, trying to carry or even display it on an open off-road rig or bike or similar would be a recipe for failure eventually. Talk about a cheap POS….

What does removing plates have to do with requirements to have plates?

Like I said earlier. Some could look at the DP as an inclusion requirement. If you have plates then you're included in the group that needs a DP, ORV tags or not. If no plates present, you need to have an OHV sticker, DP not required. In my part of the state all the DNR lands are open to OHV's if tags present.

My lawyers just got back to me about this.They simply said get the fawk out :haha:The state is just screwing you.Now you can make the check payable to phillips and morris law firm for 1035. even :haha::haha:

I went in and got my tow-rig dual registered. They gave me 2 tags so I will have one in the glove box of the tow-rig and one on the buggy. $65 and about 1.5 hours waiting for my number to be called at the DOL office. Seems pretty reasonable.

It is not about whether you are recreating, its all about if you are on land the the DNR has designated for recreational use.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think it's absolutely accurate. Yes it's hard to use recreation land without recreating but it happens. Case in point is work parties at which no DP is required. Yes there are shades of gray in the verbage of the law but the intent of the pass is recreation access.
It is the intent of this act to reform and improve access to and management of state lands on a sustainable basis for the recreating public by: Providing a motor vehicle access pass and access policies for state lands; recovering the cost incurred by the state for operations and management of recreation opportunities; providing resources to address the growing demand and impacts of outdoor recreationists and conservation of our natural resources; and providing effective education and enforcement of state land access policies.
This area of the law could have been written better also.:awesomework:

It may seem that I'm arguing details of a poorly written law just to proove I'm right. That's not my point really......I would like to find what the definite letter of the law is for sure but more importantly the DNR has communicated with us very clearly on these issues all the way through the process of getting this bill passed. Now it's time to see if they will keep their word. Will they keep their word thus showing that they may be trusted on some level or will they turn chicken **** 180 in which case I will never trust them with anything again...These issues are much more important than $35. These issues will determine what support the DNR will get in the future. If they **** us on this they will **** us on anything and I'll be the first to push for zero support for the DNR when that happens.......But lets wait and see what happens first.:;