• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My first LS build

Shawn couldn't get the videos to upload so he mailed me a CD with them. There were two videos, the first was just him filling the tank with gas, hooking the ECM up, and booting the computer. The engine didn't run until the second video so that is all I have posted.

Shawn Stroker LS First Fire

Re:

Don't know you, but I have enjoyed this thread. I think its cool that you've got your "daddy" there with you and even cooler that you've got video footage. I would suggest really safeguarding the video, which I'm sure you will. Congrats on hearing it run. Looks like a neat set-up.

Thanks JJ for posting that up for me and for all the help along the way. I know a couple of perimeters I have wrong in the program. Hope to address that and the leaking valve covers as soon as I get time. Maybe get footage from the exhaust side. Those cats muffle more than I ever thought they would. And about the water pump question, the belt routing is turning the pump backwards, no real problem will just be less efficient?

You can never know how thankful I am to have my dad there for the start up. Since I started this one we have taken him to the ER twice and he spent a few days in ICU. The Dr. said we likely would have lost him if he had not already been in the hospital. When I was a kid I built a blown BBC, my dad loves to tell the story that he had to turn the key( same engine stand) to fire it for the first time while I stood outside the shop with my hands over my ears. I would kill to have had video of that. That was way before Go Pro was ever thought of. In fact cameras were probably using gun powder for flash. I have that footage on an SD card and it will be going in the fire safe. Thanks for looking.

Roll Tide Roll

Re:

I you don't want to put it in your rig I will be happy to fit it in this Smith chassis! . .

Re:

I agree with that Ray! No way to build a drag car also with a little one on the way.

Awesome build. Not sure if this is even related to your oils leak issue at the end of the vid but I have the same valve covers as you. I was warned that when torqued down they actually deflect enough to cause a substantial leak. I had 3, 1/4" pieces of aluminum round stock welded on the inside of the valve covers one side to the other splitting the rockers. So far no oil leaks. Not sure if that's your issue just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks IM84, that sounds about right, those things are thin. JJ welded standoffs onto them for the coil packs I wanted some venting so a buddy closer by welded a bung into each cover for me. Once he did that the brackets would no longer line up with the standoffs JJ put on. I decided I would put the factory covers on but knew the bracing hits the rockers. In a brilliant move I used my plasma to remove the braces, got away with it on the first one but blew a hole right through the top of the cover on the second!!!! Now I plan to bolt the warped ones to a set of bare iron heads, put a couple of fire bricks on top, pizza brick on the bottom and put them in the oven for a couple of hours at about 400. Once I get them flat maybe JJ will put the strips in for me. He needs all the practice he can get before he builds my headers anyway!

I have been hanging onto your build thread, awesome simply awesome. I talked myself into the 245 heads because this engine eventually will get an F2. I was hoping to be first but you beat me to it. Great job on the tow rig and buggy.

Shawn,

I was telling you this when I gave those covers to you but I'm sure you had a lot going on and may have forgotten. The only thing I had to use as a jig when I welded those bungs on was the actual coil pack brackets themselves. But one or two of the bungs I couldn't get at to tack on without removing a couple coil packs. I discovered after welding the bungs completely that the coil pack brackets are super flimsy and rely on the coil packs themselves for structure. One or two of the bungs were 1/4 of a hole off as a result of the brackets flexing. I had to wallow two holes out to get them to match up again.

Now I feel terrible though because I should have bolted those covers to my test engine while welding them. I bet I warped the crap out of them. The work your buddy did was minimal compared to the heat I put to them. I'm really kicking myself now. I'm sorry. Whatever I can do to make it right I will do.

On a side note, since welding those things I've been practicing on the Synchrowave like a mofo. I'm 100% confident I could do a lot better job if I get another crack at it. What covers were they? Maybe I can get another set shipped straight to me and I can do the job right this time and then send them on to you? Or maybe if you feel more comfortable with your other buddy I can just have them sent to him?

Relax JJ, the work you did on the covers did not warp them. When I had everything mocked up the first time I had all ten bolts in the brackets, perfect. I wanted some crankcase venting so I bought two bungs and modified an AC tube for this purpose. My buddy let one of the guys that works for him weld the bungs onto the covers. Instead of getting a nice one pass bead like the ones you did he gorilla welded the crap of them. When I got them back I could only get a couple of bolts back in the brackets. Trick Flow raised the cover rail and the bolt bosses on these heads so you can run stock covers with big valve trains but stock covers still have to be modified. I hope to get another cover this weekend and leave the plasma cutter out of it. Get it sealed up and start the tuning process. Once I get them straightened out and you have time I would like to bring them to you and do the mods IM84 was talking about. I got nothing but respect for you and your skills. :tc

Well let me know how I can help. I'm eager to lay down some better beads than I did last time.

Built a set of headers for the motor. Still have to run pipes out the back and he still has about of tuning to do. This video doesn't do the sound justice. It hammers on that cam pretty hard. Made my ears itch.

Shawn new headers first start

Awesome Shawn - cant wait to see that beast in action...
You looked a bit excited...seemed like you breathing hard there... Exciting stuff, huh?? :dblthumb: